Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM ? Which version will open 1998 files?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RobynM

RobynM Report 14 May 2012 12:07

Hi all,

I have an elderly friend who has just had to upgrade his computer. He had the 1998 version of Family Tree Maker installed and can no longer find his installation disks (probably on 3 1/2 disks no doubt).

Anyway, he now has Windows 7 and no program.

Which of the older versions of FTM will open his 1998 files so he doesn't have to re-key all his data, which he can't do anyway as his eyesight is no longer good enough.

Does anyone know which of the older versions we need to look for ? I have V3 and V5, will either of those do it ?

Thanks
Cheers
Robyn

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 May 2012 12:27

If he saved a copy of the Gedcom for his tree then any FTM will open it, your PC should make no difference,

1998 version,

save the gedcom, then attach to an email and save as draft,

then on your new PC install any FTM program or any family tree program,

then go back to your draft email and transfer the file eg, import it to the new program.

Roy

RobynM

RobynM Report 14 May 2012 12:44

Thanks Roy, but sadly no, he didn't GEDCOM any of his files. I had already asked him that. Luckily he did back them up though, so he's got all the FTW files etc. He was using Windows XP.

Update ... he does have a program. His niece has given him a copy of 2009, but that didn't work converting his files. He doesn't like the new format anyway, much prefers the older one that he had been using for many years.

If I knew which of the older versions would do it, I could try to find a copy. Perhaps the V3 that I have might do it. I use 2009 myself now anyway.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 May 2012 12:57

There is this Family Tree Maker 2009 Essentials [OLD VERSION]
advertised on Amazon

I don't no if this [OLD VERSION] is what you need or if it would work?

it says
System Requirements
Platform: Windows Vista / XP
Media: CD-ROM

take a look their is only one left

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Tree-Maker-Essentials-VERSION/dp/B001B5L5RA

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 May 2012 13:03

also

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Tree-Maker-2005-Starter/dp/B00068P4AW/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1336996881&sr=8-23

Roy

RobynM

RobynM Report 14 May 2012 13:13

Cool ... thanks ... I'll check them out !

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 May 2012 13:28

Not sure if this will help but worth a read

http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3673

Roy