Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Occupation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 14 May 2012 22:57

Hello,

what does ( Ct Sgt 3 Worc Regt ) mean i know Worcestershire regiment but what is the Ct

Regards

Mary

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 May 2012 23:03

Could it be C/Sgt?

Staff/Colour Sergeant
After a few years as a Sergeant promotion to either Staff or Colour Sergeant may follow. This is a senior role combining man and resource management of around 120 soldiers, or even command of a troop or platoon

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 May 2012 23:22

Irene, need a response from you?

The army abbreviation Ct does not exist in the context you posted,

where did you get your info from?

CT in army abbreviations refers to a location

CT = Communication Trench

Roy

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 15 May 2012 19:53

Porkie Pie

Sorry I could not reply last night my GR stopped working I could search but not view results or use boards kept asking me to subscribe although I'm a Platinum member :-| Sorted this afternoon so back on

Mary

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 May 2012 21:04

From your PM,

Info was off 1901 Census

did you check the image, or was it just taken from the transcription because their is no rank listed or to my knowledge for a Ct Sgt in the British army so could be mistranscribed

what column was the info in?

so he would probably be C/Sgt = Colour Sergeant

Ct in army abbreviations refers to a location

CT = Communication Trench

If in the occupation column then Ct Sgt 3 Worc Regt

could be he was a sergeant in the Communication Trench

Roy

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 15 May 2012 21:18

Hello Roy

If you go on 1901 census look for Thomas Pickrell b 1867 in dudley worcs you can see info I have

Regards

Mary

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 May 2012 21:21

Irene, I don't have access to the census any more, I have added further info to my post above 21:04

Roy

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 15 May 2012 21:24

Thanks Roy

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 May 2012 12:38

I read the image as Cr.There are several others with same rank.
Colour Sergeant.

Ray

Ray Report 18 May 2012 20:43

I believe there was an error . Ct is almost certainly Cl Sergeant being colour sergeant. My father was a sergent major (company sergeant major and Regimental sergeant major.)
The 3rd battalion) was equal to what we call a territorial battalion these days. My father joined that battalion around 1908 and served in the 1st and 2nd battalions for 23 years through the South African war and the 1914 1918 war.

I have the complete history of the Worcestershire Regiment (all battalions) through the 14/18 war.

Rupert Bear