Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New member can you help?.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2012 21:00

Another member has put me on thier family tree i would like to know how we are connected so have sent messages but have had no response. Is thier any other way of finding out/.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 May 2012 21:22

A living person isn't allowed to be added to anyone's tree without their permission. I would PM them again and point this out. If no response in a reasonable time then contact genes who will delete the info.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 May 2012 21:35

As Shirley pointed out,

But Even with permission they should have all living people in their tree hidden, so they cannot be viewed

Roy

Lynski

Lynski Report 15 May 2012 21:58

Has your message been opened?

You can check by going to your sent items and if there is a dark green envelope next to your message this means it has not yet been opened.

Are you sure the entry you have found is definitely you?

The reason I ask is because when I enter my name and year of birth into Search Trees there are 19 entries and they are not all me.

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2012 22:16

Thankyou Shirly, PorkiePie and Lynski. I will certainly PM the member again, i need to find out if it is hidden. I am confident it is me as they have my date and place of birth. thanks again. Carole.

Lynski

Lynski Report 15 May 2012 22:19

Have you checked to see if your original message has been opened?

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2012 22:33

Yes just checked first message opened but second asking to view thier tree has not.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2012 22:42

Have you checked to see whether this person has in his/her tree any others from your family? Specifically, your parents.................

Unless your name is unusual, there could be more than one person whose details appear to match yours

Unknown

Unknown Report 15 May 2012 22:57

Hi Reggie. Yes they have my father. when i put my father on my tree it was flaged up that he was also on this members tree. I sent them a message to say i am his daughter and how are we connected but i have had no response. them i searched my name and found i am on thier tree, but not my sibblings, i am baffled.

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 May 2012 23:52

Since GR has made some changes to the trees, so I don't know if the old behaviour still holds - my guess is that it does.
What GR used to do was allow you to search for any name in any tree, specifying whatever secondary info you liked - e.g., dates and places. It would find a hit whether the target was hidden or not, and give you contact info for the tree's owner. However, when you actually looked at the tree, hidden persons, even the ones you had found in searches, were hidden.

I think this behaviour is what one wants.

Whether you're actually hidden on their tree is another matter, though.

Estelle

Estelle Report 16 May 2012 09:02

Hello, please can you contact our customer support team? If you or your family haven't given your permission to be in someone's tree then we will remove your names from it and also let the member what we've done and why we have done it.
Please send a list of the names you'd like removed to [email protected].
Thanks,
Estelle