Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

By coroners orders

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 May 2012 09:32

Hi I have a Joseph Perry born 1874 at Didcot Berkshire. On the burials reords is has the following information

Joseph Perry age 25
25/06/1899 Reading

It has by coroners orders to the side of it . Why will it have that.

The above information came from the parish records for All Saints Didcot

Thank you Sandy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 May 2012 09:40

Most likely it means there was an inquest and the coroner authorised his burial.

The death cert will probably have the coroner as the informant .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 May 2012 09:42

Name: PERRY, Joseph
Registration district: Reading
County: Berkshire
Year of registration: 1899
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at death: 25
Volume no: 2C
Page no: 233

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 May 2012 09:48

I agree with Shirley - there will probably have been an inquest. You may find a newspaper report of the inquest in a local newspaper of the time. You could check with the nearest library to where the death took place.

Kath. x

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 May 2012 12:43

I have several death certificates where a coroners inquest was held.

Without the coroners permission - where there are next of kin
or
coroners orders - often no immediate next of kin to take resonsibiloty or following a longer than normal timespan of 1 - 2 weeks

As said before you could check the local papers to see what the inquest was about. Most inquests are held within a week of death and the report will be in mainly the local papers on either that day or the following day. As the date of the inquest is usually on the death certificate this will give you a date to check for.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 16 May 2012 14:09

Sadly-maybe this one:
The Standard (London, England), Monday, June 26, 1899; pg. 5; Issue 23399. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

William Williams,an engine-driver,William Whichelo,fireman and Joseph Perry,shunter,were killed by a railway accident at Reading early on Saturday morning. They were engaged in shunting operations,when the engine on which they were ran into some trucks with such force as to break in the bunker and cause some of the pipes of the boiler to burst. Perry was killed instantaneously,being severely injured as well as scalded by the steam. Witchelo was placed on the ambulance and Williams was put into a cab and both were taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital,where it was found that Whitchelo was dead. Williams,who had been badly scalded,died some twelve hours after the accident.

Maureen

Sandra

Sandra Report 16 May 2012 15:05

Hi
Thank you everyone for the information

Thank you Sandy