Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a Will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SJB

SJB Report 17 May 2012 17:12

I've found a relative in the National Probate Calender on Ancestry, but how do I go about getting hold of the will? Any advice would be appreciated.

Janet

Janet Report 17 May 2012 17:17

From the Ancestry site itself, Ordering wills:

Unfortunately it is not currently possible to order a copy of the will from us. If you wish to order a copy of a will or grant mentioned in this collection, you can do so for a fee from the Principal Probate Registry at First Avenue House or any district probate registry. You’ll need to provide the full name of the deceased, the date of the grant and the registry where it was issued.

For more information, please visit the Probate Registry’s website.

Jan

SJB

SJB Report 17 May 2012 18:35

Thanks Jan, I missed seeing that notice. sue

Janet

Janet Report 17 May 2012 19:18

Its a fairly simple process I have sent for a few myself, was about £6 I think

Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 May 2012 19:40

Here's the form you need

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/pa1s-eng.pdf

Send to the address on the form -

Postal Searches and Copies Department
Leeds District Probate Registry
York House
York Place
Leeds
LS1 2BA

with a cheque for £6

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 17 May 2012 21:19

Only order wills (£6.00 each all in) from the above address provided by DetEctTive

and

BMDs from the GRO (£9.25 each all in)

Both the sources of these documents and the cheapest way of doing so

Why order through any genealogy site, they charge for the privelege of something which you can do so easily yourself
:-S