Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need advice

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ema85

Ema85 Report 20 May 2012 20:05

I'm trying to help a distant family member start their tree. The only problem is she is from a scottish and polish born family and i'm not experienced enough to know where to start. :-(

If anyone can help us out, i would be most grateful :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2012 20:21

Are the Polish people a recent addition or were they in 1800s or wartime?

Gwyn

Ema85

Ema85 Report 20 May 2012 20:42

Her Father came over from Poland during the war and met her mother who is scottish. I have names for them both and her mothers maiden name

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2012 21:02

Does she know the names of her father's parents and the part of Poland where they lived?
Her father perhaps has a Polish Army record in this country, which could be accessed.
I know someone who had a similar situation, ie. Polish man meeting Scottish lady in wartime and could ask how they researched the Polish army docs. if you think that might apply.

Scottish records are often alot more detailed than English ones.
Scottish People is the pay-to-view site for that.

Gwyn

Ema85

Ema85 Report 20 May 2012 21:04

That would be a fantastic start. Thank you very much

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 May 2012 21:11

I will see them soon and get back to you.

I take it that the person who came from Poland has died and so no help can be obtained direct?
If they have died after 1969, their death certificate is only likely to list Poland as place of birth, not a town.
Place is really important to establish, because I don't think there is a central holding place for b,m.d. as we have.

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 May 2012 21:29

P.M sent with possible addresses to try re. records.

Gwyn