Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MAP OF VICTORIAN POOR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 22 May 2012 21:12

BOOTHS GIVES AN EXCLENT VIEW OF THE POOR HOUSING

http://booth.lse.ac.uk/static/a/4.html

http://www.london-footprints.co.uk/wkvictoriaadd.htm

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 May 2012 12:09

Also the notebooks of the Policeman/men who accompanied him on his walks are very interesting reading.

Sadly only a few areas have been transcribed.

The area I am interested in is one that has not and the Policemans notebook is virtually unreadable. But what I have been able to read is very interesting.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 May 2012 18:21

SOME AREAS WERE NO GO TO THE POLICE IN THOSE DAYS

MY DAD WAS BORN YEARS LATER IN 1916
IN THE STREET OF PROSTITUTES

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 23 May 2012 18:24

MAYBE WORTH GETTING IN TOUCH WITH THE LSE.THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 May 2012 21:07

Dizzi, that is how I found out about how few of the notebooks had been transribed. And those that have were done by people like us who were interested in the area where our family was from and transcribed the books and then sent to LSE for their records.

I think they would like more people to do this, but it is very time consuming and you start to think you are going mad (well I did!!!!) :-D