Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baron as a first name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 23 May 2012 11:42

Hi,

Heading off out to do useful things but setting a question before I go.

I've just found someone on hubby's side with name Baron Mason (1863-1863). This left me wondering about Baron as a first name.

Obviously today, Baron would sound a bit posy - well it would to me, but in the 1800s was it just another name that has not been continued to today. It's the first time I've come across it. I know that some names link into Queen Victoria, Elizabeth, to the Jubliees of Victoria etc but I haven't worked out the Baron connection yet.

Something to think about whilst I'm sanding down some woodwork and maybe get the little grey cells performing.

All ideas and input gladly accepted.

Happy Wednesday (or is it Thursday?) No. If it was Thursday, I'd have put the bins out last night. Well hubby would have :-D

Enjoy the weather.

Jill

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 May 2012 11:45

Have you tried searching on Freebmd for 1st name Baron? Will give you an idea of how common it is/was.
EDIT there are lots! Goes up to 1960's, which is as far as Freebmd has got. Ancestry has a total of about 2,000 in all 1837-2006. So not common, but still in use it seems.
Jan

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 23 May 2012 12:21

I think the name Baron may be a jewish name and nothing to do with the English word. Take for instance Sacha Baron Cohen, the comedian. There also used to be a gents outfitters in London called Baron something. Do we have any jewish people on here who could confirm or refute?

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 23 May 2012 13:24

have you tryed google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 23 May 2012 14:52

DameShelley, Jill is asking about the personal name of Baron, not the title. She's referring to somebody whose first name is Baron, not a member of the aristocracy.

Adeline

Adeline Report 23 May 2012 16:24

Perhaps it's similar to the use of Doctor as a first name right through the 19th century and into the 20th century, mainly in Lancashire.

Re Baron, just found this:

Baron, meaning and name origin

Baron \b(a)-ron\ as a boy's name is pronounced BARE-an. It is of Old German and Old English origin, and the meaning of Baron is "young warrior". Also the Hebrew phrase "Bar Aaron", meaning "son of Aaron".

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 23 May 2012 22:05

Thanks all. Interesting that the rest of the family are your usual first names. Might prove useful if I can get back another couple of generations. I can but hope that he was named after a previous generation.

I've not detected anything to suggest that there is Jewish ancestry so the good old English seems to be the answer.

Many thanks again.

xJill