Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

AMOS GOSS, 1855, Biddenham, Bedfordshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 24 May 2012 11:22

I collect (and use) antique lace bobbins, mainly inscribed with names I have found on my family tree, so I make lace with my ancestors.

I have just bought one off eBay inscribed AMOS GOSS. I found him in the 1881 census, living in Biddenham with his wife Harriet, shown as Lace Maker !

I wonder if she had the bobbin made to remind her of her sweetheart, or if he gave it to her so she'd think of him everytime her fingers touched that bobbin. In those days an inscribed bone bobbin would have been expensive, so very special.

I found her again in the 1871, aged 14, also shown as Lace Maker.

Now I have another family to research.

But how lovely to own an antique bobbin where I have made contact with its original owner.

Janet

Janet Report 24 May 2012 14:08

I don't see why, if they had typed Amos Voss into eBay it would have come up for them to bid on :)

Sally

Sally Report 24 May 2012 14:53

how lovely

what an interesting way of of collecting

i have my nans embrdery hoop and tools and her button hook wich she used as she was born in 1873

sally w :-D

Janet

Janet Report 24 May 2012 21:07

I remember my grandmother's button hooks - one had a bone handle, the other was all metal, and folded in half. So pleased you still have yours.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 May 2012 17:11

I collect button hooks, mine are made of all sorts of things from silver (you can find gold too if you are lucky.... and rich), bone, steel, wood, one is trench art, some plain, some engraved, some 12inches long, some tiny. I always wonder about the people who owned them, none of them, sadly, are from my family.

Janet

Janet Report 25 May 2012 22:13

That's why I was so pleased to find Harriet Goss listed as lacemaker - I feel I now know who originally owned this bobbin, probably commissioned for her between 1875 and 1885. What are the chances of that?

One of my favorites from my family tree is inscribed ELIZABETH, but the maker miscalculated, so it reads ELIZABET, with the H underneath the T.