Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TAITT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dominique

Dominique Report 24 May 2012 15:52

Anyone researching this surname before 1807? London area not Scotland.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 24 May 2012 16:02

Best thing is to put this name into 'search trees' and see if anyone has people born before this date in their tree.
Jan

Dominique

Dominique Report 25 May 2012 09:23

Thanks brummiejan. Did that however all trees mention Scotland and my link is London.
Have now edited the op to name area.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 25 May 2012 09:30

Then I guess the answer is no! If you are stuck, might be best to start a thread on Find Ancestors board asking for assistance.

Have you used the variant of Tait or Tate when searching trees?

Jan

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 May 2012 19:30

There were two lines of Tait in Middlesex / London before 1851. One came down from Northumberland and were pretty well britched, the others are to be found east of Bow Bells. AFAIK there is no connection, certainly not in London. As you have discovered up north and in Scotland there are lots of Taits.

Taitt is a misspelling of Tait - using London English as she is spoke Tait would be pronounced as something like "Tight" although the i would be doubled as a glottal stop - . Somebody chose to use "Taitt" which would force the correct flat a to rhyme with late. June Brown has it bang on even if she was born in Suffolk.

BTW no connection with Tate.

If you post something more specific you will get more tightly focused answers.