Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there a workaround for name search error?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

larzus

larzus Report 30 May 2012 03:33

This is the error where you search a name you know is there and it tells you it cannot find the name in the tree.

My own tree is working fine, though it wasn't for a while. But some people have kindly shared their tree with me. I know the name of our common link, usually someone around 1820 or 1840. But their trees are big and I come in at the present day member! If they have a few thousand names in their tree I can follow the family groups randomly for a while, but I'd be lucky to find the one I need.

All I can think of is to ask them to direct me right through from themself to said distant relation so I can follow the trail.

Is there a much simpler solution? :-S

Irene

Lynski

Lynski Report 30 May 2012 04:38

Are you looking at the trees using the new layout?

If so, try using the old tree format - hover your mouse over Family Tree tab above and you will see "Use old tree".

Try that....???

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 May 2012 08:37

You can also try this Irene,

Go to the person you want and put descendants view, or go to the tree owner and put ancestors view, hopefully, by going up or down the page with the arrow system you will see that they connect.

It is easier on the new tree because they seem clearer to follow but, the drawback is, you would have to work out how you are related with a relationship calculator unlike A******* which does this for you.

You have to use the little hand thingey and drag it up and down .. or you can use the arrows on right hand side.

I got these tips from another member. Hope they help. Cx

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 May 2012 09:21

Is 'A******* ' the Ancestry website?

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 30 May 2012 12:13

I know I may be getting confused (or causing confusion) with the issue here but I had trouble with trees - locating a specific individual in my tree or another member's tree via search box. I could search, select the name but it didn't take me to their record. I sent an email to Genes Support and they tested and then suggested I try a different browser - it seemed not to work with IE9 (I was using Internet Explorer), they sent links to Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. I downloaded Google Chrome and so far my searches are working. My contact with Genes Support was earlier this month (about the 10th). I'm still using Google Chrome.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 30 May 2012 12:35

Yes Reggie - one was just being circumspect ;-)

Hi Jannie, there have been lots of threads about tree problems. Looks as though you have sorted your particular problem out. :-D

Cx

larzus

larzus Report 2 Jun 2012 08:32

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I use Google chrome but have tried a few browsers. I will just have to follow through from child to parent.

My big issue is I have a person in my tree and I have received a share offer from someone else who has the same person. But his tree is so huge that I cannot locate my person and I don't know which side of his family that person is on so I have been randomly following children, spouses and parents to try to come across them. I did a test on his search box, I found someone, moved one screen out of view of them and searched them. It told me it could not find them. So I think my person IS there, somewhere amongst his 6000 people.

I sent a message asking for a pathway from him to our common relative but haven't heard back in a month.

It's driving me mad! I really want to find and see this person.

Irene

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Jun 2012 09:32

I've given up on the new tree - can't do a search on it (on mine or someone else's).

Absolutely HATE it!!!