Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where has my information gone?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 5 Jun 2012 17:25

OK, I'm not a great fan of GR - understood? But .... three days ago, my husband and I logged in at the same time with our laptops. Both opened new trees. MH (my husband) had information on various family members, but my tree didn't have the information that I added years ago. Weird!

Today I've logged onto my grandfather. Now, I joined this site some 4/5/6 years ago and I know almost everything about my grandfather but, bizarrely, his date of birth has gone missing as has the information that I remember entering 15 months back that he had a shared baptism with an elder brother.

What is one to do? What's the point? I can't trust this site any more. I've put hours and hours of work in only to find that it's not there.

Would someone from GR please answer this AND GET THIS WEBSITE RUNNING AS I'VE PAID MY MEMBERSHIP TO DO SO!!!!

jax

jax Report 5 Jun 2012 18:01

Are you using the new tree?

If so click "use old tree" maybe it is still there?

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 5 Jun 2012 18:10

Hi Jax

I've tried both. But, given that the new tree was rolled out some six months ago, basic "stuff" should have been sorted out by now and whether we use the new or old tree, shouldn't be an excuse.

I know almost everything about my grandfather (didn't ever get to meet him, but have learnt from family members) - but information that I did have and put into my tree has disappeared. What about the other +5,000 people on my tree? Obviously I can't mentally recall every detail about them so what's happened to the hours worth of information that I've put in?

Lindsey

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Jun 2012 14:06

Lindsey, you need to send a message to GR via the Help button above. Hopefully, they should be able to help you. Cx

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 6 Jun 2012 14:31

Thanks Cynthia ... If I can find the energy, maybe I'll do that.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Jun 2012 16:11

May I also suggest, if you don't already do so, that you have all your info on a tree off-line on your computer and also backed up on a memory-stick or something, then, if everything crashes you won't lose all your hard work.