Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do I search for crew lists please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Jun 2012 08:54

Hi
does any one know if it is possible to search for a particular crew list on Ancestry please?

Any help or advice would very much be appreciated

I would love to know if Captain Arnold Octavious Morgan was a member of the Crew of the Durham Castle on the voyage which arrived Uk 18/8/1911

I think the ship started out from Mozambique,One of the passengers was Helen Brangwin travelling with her mother Sophia.I found them but don't know how to get to the crew list

Thank you
Blue1

mgnv

mgnv Report 6 Jun 2012 11:54

Check out http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/atoz/default.htm

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jun 2012 12:46

When you look at the image for Helen and Sophia alter the image number to 1

That says the MASTER'S NAME is T Chope

No idea if the Master is the Captain or not

He is listed on this database on Ancestry
UK, Navy Lists, 1908, 1914

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Jun 2012 13:17

Thanks mgnv and Glitter baby,sorry not to get back sooner.I should have said that I was called away.

I am on Ancestry at the moment so will have a look right now,then I will have a go at the Navy lists.

I can tell by having a quick peek that I shall be on the national archives link for some time,so will leave that till last.
If I manage to find him in 1911 I'll update this post

thanks so much again

Blue1

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Jun 2012 15:51

Hi
Just wanted to say thanks to all.I have found the entry for the Captain of the ship.So Arnold Octavious Morgan is not aboard and I can look for him elsewhere.

Blue1

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Jun 2012 16:06

If Captain is an official rank he wouldn't be Merchant Navy, so I would look for him in either The Navy List or in the Army equivalent. Do you know which Service he was in?

There is an entry in the London Gazette in Sept. 1905 where an Arnold Octavius Morgan is promoted from Sub-Lieutenant to Lieutenant. The name is not common, so this might well be the same man.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 6 Jun 2012 16:38

Hi Andysmum

I think this is the same chap.I have found him on the Navy lists from 1908 1914 and also as Master of some passenger ships ,so I would say his career was in both Navy's at certain points in time.

Thanks for looking for me,he does have a great name.

Blue1