Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

bmd certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 7 Jun 2012 19:19

there is currently an e-mail petition on directgov asking that researchers etc would be able to ask for uncertificated copies of births, marriages and deaths from registry offices at a lower rate eg £2 instead of the current over £9. the more people that sign it the quicker the mps will debate it and we MAY then be able to get needed research certs at a much lower cost.

val

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Jun 2012 19:27

Its old hat I.m afraid Val. If anything the costs may become too dear to justify all the staff they have and they may stop supplying old certs for research purposes.

Lots of petitions have gone the rounds only to be rejected by the government body involved.

Sorry to sound negative :-(

Kense

Kense Report 7 Jun 2012 19:59

It has been going for ten months now and has only got eight thousand signatures, so unlikely to get 92,000 in the next two months.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Jun 2012 20:10

That petition has not a hope in hell of getting through,

The current cost is more than good value for money when you take into account the work involved in supplying certs certified or not its the same amount of work involved because they would still need to find the relevant certified certificate in order to then send the uncertified copy

also research whether as a profession or a hobby should not be subsidised by the general public through taxation its our profession/hobby and not a public service

Or should we all start a epetition to subsidise my other hoby of drinking beer :-D

Roy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Jun 2012 20:23

Porkie my petition to subsidise my choccie craving comes before beer!!!! ;-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Jun 2012 21:57

Why should other taxpayers fund our hobby?

And the idea of a uncertified cert is an oxymoron

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Jun 2012 23:41

california do two rates,,,,,,,,,one for information only, and the other ,much more expensive for legal duties

Bob

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Jun 2012 12:03

I have heard this argument on the ID project and the digitisation of BMD certs before

It was dropped because it was costing the tax payer to much

and depending on who you believe the project was ill conceived in the first place

as for private companies taking it over i just wonder how long it would be before the private company put their prices up far beyond what it should be because of their greedy share holders as as happened with most things left to these private companies

not for profit will always be cheaper than involving private companies

Just bear in mind that if a Legal/certified copy would cost £25 from the GRO then would that not give a private company the ability to then charge at least 2 thirds the price for a digitised copy?

Roy

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jun 2012 11:53

Perhaps the company that owns Scotlandspeople should take over the English records. I don't think that the taxpayers are subsidising that and older register entries can be viewed / downloaded by spending 6 credits (provided you get the correct entry first time). Credits only cost £7 for 30 so if you are lucky you can view 5 entries for your £7.

If you are lucky enough to be able to visit the Scotlandspeople Centre in Edinburgh it only cost £15 for a day pass and you can take notes from as many register entries as time permits.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Jun 2012 12:20

roogatherer, that could soon change?

brightsolid are now involved with Scotlandspeople

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Jun 2012 22:30

© Crown copyright and copyright brightsolid ltd: Genealogy, family history and family tree information.

A partnership between the National Records of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon enabled by brightsolid

from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Roy

Denis

Denis Report 10 Jun 2012 09:43

Brightsolid is a major Scottish success story in the sort of new employment sector much needed in Scotland and as such is much denigrated by all right thinking Scots like RolloThe Red who are suspicious of anyone successful. Let's not clean our dirty washing in front of the rest of Britain, Rollo. Let's just stick to genealogy, ken?