Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Grocers Shop, Ramsnest Common, Surrey...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 11 Jun 2012 20:55

Hello Everyone,
I am a new member :) my 4th great-grandmother Elizabeth Lamboll had a grocers shop in Ramsnest Common and I'd love to know where this is as us lamboll's are in suffolk now and if i knew where the shop was i'd go one day to explore where it was, i know she had the shop in 1881 and only presume she ran it until her death in 1886, her daughter Theirza Lamboll was the assisstant of the shop on the 1881 census. Also whilst im here, is there a way of finding where they lived as i have two family pictures and one looks to be taken outside a large house and the other more like a cottage, i know that they were in the chiddingfold area for most of their duration but i'm just so interested and would appeciate any help anyone could offer me :) Thanks, Harry Lamboll

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 11 Jun 2012 21:33

Have you looked at the Francis Frith photo site for Chiddingfold you may see a photo that you can tie up with the ones you have.

http://www.francisfrith.com/chiddingfold/photos/

there are 3 pages of photos

Wendy

Harry

Harry Report 11 Jun 2012 22:09

i've emailed the archives Jan and i couldnt find anything on there Wendy but thanks loads ladies :)

Pam

Pam Report 11 Jun 2012 22:21

Ramsnest Common is a small village in the heart of The Weald in the Waverley district of Surrey, England. It lies on the A283 two miles south of Chiddingfold between Milford and Petworth.

History

The name Ramsnest refers to the curly horns that are found on a male sheep, a ram. Ramsnest Common is officially part of the village of Chiddingfold which is well known for its village green, pubs, school and church.

Pam

Pam Report 11 Jun 2012 22:36

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Jun 2012 22:45

Ramsnest Common is a very small place and you can look at it all quite easily on Google Earth. By using street view you can look at each property in turn and see if any of them match your photos.

Harry

Harry Report 11 Jun 2012 22:56

this is the problem, the grocers shop was in ramsnest common but i dont know entirely if they actually lived their, her husband died in 1871 in Hambledon so it throws things about if you can understand but i will however try and have a look on google maps. :)

Pam

Pam Report 11 Jun 2012 23:08

I think Hambledon is the registration district for Ramsnest Common.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jun 2012 23:19

Was her husband William?
A William LAMBOLL of Ramsnest Common, a farmer and carrier, died at Ramsnest Common on 28 May 1871, according to a Will record on Ancestry.

Gwyn

Harry

Harry Report 11 Jun 2012 23:29

yes Gwyn, thats him! :) so that must mean they did live there then :) thanks so much :D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Jun 2012 23:45

A linked family...?

http://www.willtranscriptions.co.uk/surnames/j-k-l/lamboll_benjamin_l11.htm

Harry

Harry Report 11 Jun 2012 23:54

ah i see youve found this, this is williams fathers will :) benjamin is my GGGGG grandfather :)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Jun 2012 15:04

I think the shop might have been in Chiddingfold. I have been looking at trade directories and the 1878 Post Office Directory has George Lamboll as a carrier from Petworth to Guildford and Godalming on Tuesday and Friday and calling at Chiddingfold, Milton, North Chapel, Petworth and Witley on Wednesday and Saturday. At Petworth he was to be found at the Bear - presumably a pub.

In the same directory is a Mrs E Lamboll, of Chiddingfold, Grocer and Tea Dealer.

In Kelly's 1913 directory there is T G Lamboll doing the same carrier route and Charles Lamboll, Chiddingfold, Shopkeeper.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 12 Jun 2012 15:46

From Parish Records - Baptisms Petworth

23/06/1872 Florence daughter of George & Tryphena LAMBOLL - Carrier

26/12/1875 Arthur George son of George & Tryphena LAMBOLL Carrier

Marriages Petworth

21/08/1868 B G LAMBOLL George S Aged 24. Porter
B BURNINGHAM Tryphena S Aged 20 from Byworth, Petworth
GF LAMBOLL William Farmer
BF BURNINGHAM John Shoemaker
W BURNINGHAM John
W GOATCHER Jane

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 12 Jun 2012 18:55

Harry you have got three Lamboll threads running at the same time and it is a bit confusing. It is better to keep all the info on one thread. I can see that you are new to this but if you have several threads on the samrename it means that people do work for you that has already been done by someone else

http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1301989

http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1301993

And this one

Good luck - Wendy

Harry

Harry Report 12 Jun 2012 21:00

andysmum, george is william and elizabeths son and we had a rough idea what he did and mrs e lamboll would be who im most interested in as i cant seem to find anything on her shop. I can see your point wendy, sorry for the confusion.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 12 Jun 2012 22:07

No problem Harry it just makes it easier and quicker for all of us and you

Wendy

Harry

Harry Report 12 Jun 2012 22:17

i would mainly now like to know where the shop was and what it was called? if anyone can find any records to help me i'd be grateful :)