Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Member of UK Secret Service early 1900

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 13:40

Hi it would appear my Great Grandfather was involved in the secret service early 1900. Does anyone know what it was called then and if there is a register. Nothing sinister as far as I know. My grandfather did change his surname though and has a fictitious name for his father on my grandparents wedding certificate

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jun 2012 15:35

Hi

Thank you. My Great Grandfather received postcard messages from several different people - different hand writing - with very cryptic messages written in several different languages. Sometimes there was more than one language on a postcard. The ones that I have seen are dated 1911.

I Will check to see if I can find a service record for him. I do not know of any naval connection so must be army pre WW1

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jun 2012 16:17

Have you used google to try to find info?

Christine

Christine Report 21 Jun 2012 14:50

I have tried but may be I am not asking the right question. I found the Kings Messengers but this did not really seem to apply. I will keep asking in a different format

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jun 2012 16:17

Try The National Archives, then Records and Security History. I found this by putting UK Secret Service Personnel Records into Google.

Because it is the Secret Service, though, a lot of the records are not open to the general public.

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jun 2012 09:50

Hi Andysmum

I will give that a try.

many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jun 2012 10:29

You *are* outside the 100 year rule, so you do have a good chance of getting them opened to you.

Would the Imperial War Museum be able to advise, do you think?

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jun 2012 17:32

Hi tried the national Archive but did not have any luck. They do have a section for personnel - hardly surprising! Will give the Museum a try.

Many thanks

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jun 2012 19:29

Should have said they do NOT have a section for personnel. As my grandfather was only 45 in 1911 he could have worked past that date which means the 100 year rule would apply.