Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Telephone Directories

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 26 Jun 2012 15:40

I know electoral registers are only available in the local area, however I wondered if there is a central place where telephone directories are available or even on line (don't mind purchasing credits) Ancestry have them on their site up to 1984 but I need them for a much later period, I thought if I found my relatives names and telephone numbers (in Weston Super Mare see other topic) it would give the addresses, I could then go and look at the electoral register for the address givne as I think they had a son and want to know when he lived with them..

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jun 2012 15:43

Have you contacted the archives/library for the area you are looking for.

Many have lots of old directories, from telephone to business.

Worth a try.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Jun 2012 17:28

Library contact details given on other thread.
Jan

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 26 Jun 2012 22:30

Thanks for your help think a lot of this will have to wait until I am in England and can contact the library etc.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Jun 2012 22:51

Not sure which dates you need, but if you Google search the names, there is a 2005 address for the wife.

Gwyn

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 27 Jun 2012 08:09

Hi all,

thanks for your replies, I was hoping there might be a central point for old telephone directories so I could look them up before visiting Weston, seems I will have to wait until I return to England and then carry on my research then.