Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas William SMELT....A merry chase........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Xavier

Xavier Report 2 Jul 2012 16:32

I have two births for my great grandfather Thomas William Smelt in 1859 (Both correct!).....On the census records he changes his birthplace twice (neither of them correct!)....states he has married on two occasions (when he only married once to non of the above).....and gives so many incorrect ages I lost count..........

BUT I think I have you sorted Thomas me lad......unless of course someone out there knows better....!?

There are in fact two official birth records -

There is both a civil birth record

SMELT Thomas W Beverley Sept Quarter 1859.

and a military birth record (GRO Regimental Birth Indices 1761 - 1904)

SMELT Thomas W Beverley 1859 15th Regiment.

The GRO have assured me that after close inspection they are happy it is the same child. Both birth certificates give exactly the same date of birth, place of birth and parents names.

The 1861 census shows TWS (Born Beverley) aged 1 living in Beverley with his parents. His mother Sarah dies in 1868 and in 1869 his father Samual marries for a second time to Elizabeth Wiles.

The 1871 census shows TWS (Born Beverley) aged 11 living in Beverley with his father, step-mother and step-sisters Martha and Ann Elizabeth. Samual gives his occupation as a Drummer in the East Yorks Militia.

The 1881 census shows TWS (Born Buttewant) I believe this to be Buttevant, Ireland. Aged 27 in Bilton cum Harrogate together with wife Kate (No marriage found) and 1 year old daughter Sarah.

The 1891 census shows TWS (Born Buttevant) aged 31 (Surname wrongly entered as SMALT not SMELT) living in Norwich.
He gives his occupation as scenic artist.

The 1901 census does not record either TWS (Beverley) or TWS (Buttevant). BUT there is a record of a William T SMELL (Born Carlisle)The name is Incorrectly transcribed as the original copy clearly shows SMELT. He describes himself as a 'scenic artist'
Given the name and unusual profession I think it is safe to assume this is the same TWS.

TWS (Born Buttevant) is recorded in the 1911 census living with wife and several children in Derby. He gives his profession as Decorator.

He finally deserts the mother of his numerous children and marries Alice MARTIN in 1915 and dies there in 1927.

His newspaper obituary states "Tommy, and his organ drawn by a pony of remarkable intelligence, were well known to all Kettering residents. Early in life he was a painter and decorator, and it was while he was engaged in scraping a ceiling that lime falling into his eyes completely destroyed his eyesight. He leaves an elderly widow, for whom the organ will be kept going"

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jul 2012 16:41

What a very interesting character - I think you have worked wonders following him through the census!
I wonder if the varying birthplaces were down to artistic licence??
Jan

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 2 Jul 2012 16:55

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921
Name: Rubina Grace Smelt
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Spouse Name: William Gibbs (Barman)
Spouse Age: 23
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 31 Oct 1908
Parish: Bromley St Leonard St Mary
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Father Name: Thomas William Smelt (Painter)
Spouse Father Name: Henry James Gibbs
Register Type: Parish Register
Address for both as, 37, Eleanor Street

(Daughter perhaps?)

Chris :)

Xavier

Xavier Report 2 Jul 2012 17:03

Chris Ho.....

Yes one of a number of children.

His long suffering partner Frances ROKINS born Richmond, Surrey 1863, was the mother of most of them including my grandfather.

The children were born in various parts of the country because she was a music hall singer and travelled to different theatres across England. Family legend has it that she and TWS met when he was painting a backdrop for a show in which she was appearing.......

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 2 Jul 2012 17:12

Sounds an interesting family...(could even beat the Bradford lot, lol)

Chris :)

Xavier

Xavier Report 2 Jul 2012 17:17

Don't remind me of the BRADFORD'S.........! They even have the knowledgable souls here at GR stumped..........

Xavier

Xavier Report 2 Jul 2012 17:30

One more interest ing fact...bit spooky but true.....all unknown to me until I delved into my family history..........

TWS was a signwriter and had a shop in Derby.....
I trained as a signwriter and moved to Derby....

TWS met and (married?) a girl from Richmond....
I met and married a girl from Richmond..........

My wife and I had our wedding reception in Red Lion Street, Richmond.....the very road where my 17 year old great grandmother was living at the time of the 1881 census.........

genes will out I suppose.....although I'm still happily married after 42 years.......!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jul 2012 23:05

That's not genes, that's reincarnation surely?! (just to spook you completely).
Seriously, what a staggering series of co-incidences. Maybe you should write a book!
Jan