Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 3 Jul 2012 20:00

I have never had occasion to be searching for records in Glasgow. Not sure where to look, I have just subscribed to Ancestry. Any help would be most gratefully received as I am looking to help an aunt whose baby sister died before she was born.

Many thanks.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jul 2012 20:58

Scotlandspeople £7 gets you 30 credits

This has census and births, marriages and deaths

BUT you can not view online births within the last 100 years, marriages within the last 75 years and deaths within the last 50 years

BUT SP would give you the details needed to order the certs

Ancestry has the 1841 to 1901 census but not the images

There is this database on Ancestry but probably too early

Lanarkshire (Glasgow), Scotland, Extracted Parish Records

lavender

lavender Report 3 Jul 2012 21:04

Thank you very much Glitterbaby for that invaluable help, I had no idea. Thank you for taking the trouble to write.

:-) :-)

James

James Report 4 Jul 2012 17:27

Good Luck Lavender.
I too am looking for a living distant relative in the Glasgow suburbs and did get 2 vital pieces of information from ScotlandPeople. A marriage in 1984 & a birth in 1986.
Sadly, I am no further forward unless I now subscribe to 192 com. (electoral rolls)
My interest in this person originally started through them putting details on GR but they have never responded to my messages so I believe they have let their subscription lapse.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Jul 2012 21:45

James - 192.com only goes back to 2002, so if you think they might have been at the same address then as in 1986, they might still be there. If you are in the UK. your local Reference Library should have copies of all the current telephone directories, which might be worth a try.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jul 2012 06:20

James

it is more likely that they have changed their email address and not notified GR

OR they have completely lost interest in family history.

I say that because if someone lets their subscription lapse ............. they are just reduced to a Free Member, and stay on the site.

If a paying member sends a pm to them, then GR forwards the information that there is a pm waiting to the email address they have on file.

A free member can reply to a pm that has been so initiated by a paying member.

But of course, they will not get the notification if they have changed their email address ....... and there is nothing that anyone can do about that.

sylvia