Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

NEE OR MARRIED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 6 Jul 2012 09:48

I HAVE JUST BEEN SEARCING TREES ON ANOTHER SITE AN ITS AMAZING WHERE THE WIFES NAME IS,HOW MANY USE THEIR MARRIED NAME ON TREE
IE; JOHN SMITH'S WIFE= MARY SMITH AND IT CAN BE CONFUSING
BECAUSE IT SHOULD BE HER MAIDEN NAME SHOULDNT IT,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Jul 2012 09:56

It should be Dizzi but then sometimes tree programs don,t make it clear on how to input details

Gai

Gai Report 6 Jul 2012 10:03

I always try to use maiden names in my tree but I do have a couple of wives where I haven't been able to find a parish record of marriage.

You are right though it does make sense to put in maiden names.

Gai

martynsue

martynsue Report 6 Jul 2012 10:12

i alway's try to find the maiden name,if i cannot find it i put mary unknown until i find it.
how can you do her side of the tree without it???

Gai

Gai Report 6 Jul 2012 10:20

Martyn,

That's what you call a brick wall. In my case it makes no difference as I have no intention of doing their side of the tree.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jul 2012 12:22

It is possible for people with the same surname to marry. Several instances of it in my research

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Jul 2012 07:24

I've seen a lot of trees on GR where the wives are given their married names, there's usually a note added Nee Whatever. Tried explaining to the tree owners that it's impossible to find matches for them, but most don't want to know.

Same name? My gg grandparents are John Smith & Margaret (MS not Smith). They had 11 children, 8 sons & 3 daughters; 10 survived to adults. Two of their daughters married James Smith & John Smith, who are brothers! Most of the 10 lived in the same small town, and followed the traditional Scottish naming pattern, so finding those Smiths wasn't as difficult as it could have been.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2012 10:07

Depending on the site, it could be laziness.

You find a census for your male relation who is now married. You attach it to your tree, using the automatic suggestion that you create a new profile for the wife.

Unless you think about it, you end up with Jane Brown as the spouse of Henry Brown where really she should be plain Jane with no surname until you can find the marrriage reference.

Some trees show Jane Brown (Mrs) which gets round the problem as far as they are concerned.

martynsue

martynsue Report 7 Jul 2012 10:15

if it is possible i alway's try to find the female maiden name,this give's me the option to research this line if i choose to,after all if it is a main branch she would be my maternal grandmother however many times down the line.