Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cut & Paste

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 16 Jul 2012 16:48

I know someone else asked this question quite recently, but I can't find it.

Can someone please explain, using very basic terms, how I can Cut & Paste information from another site onto here.

Thanks.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Jul 2012 16:51

You cannot cut and paste from another site

you can copy and paste

http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66pvfilotA

Roy

found this also

Copying text
1.Hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor across some of the text on this page.
2.Let go of the left mouse button.
3.Place the cursor over a section of the highlighted text.
4.Click the right mouse button.
5.Select Copy from the short contextual menu that appears.
Alternatively, you can copy all the text on a page by using the browser menu at the top of the browser window. Go to Edit > Select All to highlight it, then Edit > Copy.

Keyboard users can press Ctrl and A to select all the text on a page, then Ctrl and C to copy the text.

After you have selected 'Copy', your text will then be on the 'Clipboard' and is ready to be 'Pasted' into a document.

Pasting text
To paste the copied text into a document

1.open a new blank Word document or similar
2.click your cursor in the place where you want the text to be pasted
3.right click the mouse
4.select Paste from the contextual menu.
Keyboard users can press Ctrl and V after step 1.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 16 Jul 2012 17:27

Thank you very much Roy. I've just had a go and it worked! Although I had to backspace on each line as it spread itself out a lot.

But thank you again. I shall keep this this time.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Jul 2012 17:36

for the backspace problem see

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1303773

Roy

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 16 Jul 2012 17:44

Just had a look, and the view printer friendly part looks to be the answer.

Brilliant. Thanks Roy

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 Jul 2012 03:27

Just a footnote
After you`ve pasted the text from the clipboard to some document, it`s still in the clipboard, so you can paste the same text multiple times.
It`s only when you do another copy or cut, (or restart) where the first part of the copy/cut is that the clipboard is emptied.
A cut removes the highlighted text and places it in your clipboard - obviously, web pages you don`t own won`t let you do that - but you can use it within your own Word (or whatever) document to move text blocks around.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 17 Jul 2012 07:26

Thanks mgnv, this is all new to me, and I need all the tips I can get.

I still haven't mastered getting rid of the wide spaces (despite numerous help links). Give me time.