Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree and step children surnames

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 20 Jul 2012 20:52

I have come across a number of instances in my tree where a child's mother remarries and the child takes on the surname of the stepfather, which she then uses when she marries.
On the tree do you enter the surname she was registered with at birth and use the "known as" to reflect the surname she got from her stepfather.
I am not sure what the correct approach is

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jul 2012 21:32

I log people with their birth name and then add notes as you suggest to reflect a change of surname.

I have one person with her birth registered as surname W, raised by her natural father and using his surname S in census
When she married she used her birth surname W and then became Mrs P.

Gwyn

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 20 Jul 2012 21:33

I think it's whatever you are comfortable with. Personally I would put the name the child was registered under. It makes it clear what name the birth info would be found under. Then rather than hyphernate it include the new surname in brackets. So long as you understand what you mean by it, then that's fine. Just a thought as to how you could present it.

Anyone looking at my tree would see some annotations after certain surnames. This just lets me know who provided info I haven't found myself. I know what it means and that is all that counts.

J

Catherine

Catherine Report 20 Jul 2012 21:47

I do the same as Gwyn-i.e. enter people with their birth name and add any name change in the Notes section (usually in capital letters). I think it's like JustJill said - depends on what you are comfy with and of course once you've decided upon how it is necessary to be consistent!