Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Does anyone else like the new tree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gai

Gai Report 23 Jul 2012 08:27

I have sat this afternoon and added a large number of my husband's family to my tree and I like it.

I didn't have any duplication issues and I have found it very straight forward to use.

I like the fact you have 4 ways to add a father and/or a mother to a person.

Another positive feature, if the side panel is open as you move around your tree the person in the panel changes so you don't have to keep opening the side panel.

So for me the only issue I have is uploading photos which I probably wouldn't use that feature anyway but it should work.

Gai
:-)

Kense

Kense Report 23 Jul 2012 08:35

Yes I too find it a great improvement on the old tree and the previous new version.

Admittedly I haven't had the duplication problem.

Being quite old I am amazed that some people think the new tree is too complicated for oldies.

I particularly like the tree icon which enables me to access remote parts of the tree with a couple of clicks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jul 2012 08:46

Yes.

The new version can still be used with its most basic function, but has more features for the adventurous.

There must be some underlying but as yet undiscovered reason why some people are experiencing 'bugs', yet others aren't.

Gai

Gai Report 23 Jul 2012 12:08

Glad to see I'm not alone and I'm looking forward to what GR throw at us in the future.

I believe being able to have multiple trees on the site will be a great leap ahead for GR.

Gai

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jul 2012 12:50

Yes, I have added a few people to try it out, ones who test out the 'different mother/father' facility, I've added a photo first time ,

I did have two problems; both worked the second time so I assume ( maybe incorrectly) that some aspect of coding was probably being worked on at the time?

I wonder if it is because I haven't used the tree much in the past I am not 'expecting' it to be the same so it is less of a problem for me that it has changed? I just tend to fiddle about with things in the spirit of 'I wonder what this does?' :-D

add PS...might be interesting to know if we are using the same browser? IE8

Mandy

Mandy Report 23 Jul 2012 14:52

I've been doing a bit of editing/adding this afternoon, and I like the new tree :-D
I've always preferred all versions of the GR tree to those on other sites, and I prefer the site generally too (cost, forums etc). Quite like Find My Past, but it's free to use in our local library, so don't bother subscribing (think it's a bit on the pricey side too, although I know they have offers from time to time)
I'm sorry that there are a few on here that are not renewing their subs, and reading between the lines of some of the forum posts, quite a few people have left, which is a shame. I'm noticing that some of my messages are not being answered either, so assuming that they have left too. :-(

Kense

Kense Report 23 Jul 2012 15:51

Even if they have left they should be able to answer your messages.

I can't say I have noticed anyone leaving although many have said they will when it comes to it they usually don't.