Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should we be more careful???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jul 2012 20:18

??????????????????

should this make us think a bit?????

from GR's Wall on FB .........

Genes Reunited shared a link.
Yesterday
Have you noticed the Genes box on Friends Reunited? It's a great place to share and store your memories, and even post your family history discoveries! If you have any old photos, even ones you've posted on our Facebook page , you can upload them straight from your computer to the box>

Discovered on Genes Reunited
www.friendsreunited.com
Browse through the gallery of discovered ancestors, and add the photos of people you've found using Genes Reunited. Discover who you really are with the UK's leading family history site. Search over 750 million

-------
and it shows a photo from 1851 of a Victorian lady, with the surname Mahill

I don't think I like the idea of photos and pictures being taken from this site, and posted on FR's site ............ and people told to take what they what :-|

also posted on General Chat

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jul 2012 04:44

Shane

I posted on both the threads on the GR wall ................. there was one on what I think of as the GR "side", and then another on the "members" side

So I posted on both :-D

I wonder if my posts will still be there in 12 hours time :-D

As you have noticed ................. I duplicate posted this thread.

Very naughty I know, but I think people should be aware!

sylvia

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jul 2012 07:16

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem
This site contains a registry of information about the graves and memorials of more than 118,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders who served valiantly and gave their lives for their country. Included on this site are the memorials of more than 1,700 soldiers who died in service to Canada since the Korean War, including peacekeeping and other operations.

***The site also contains digital images of photographs and personal memorabilia about individual Canadians.***

The purpose of the Canadian Virtual War Memorial is to recognize and keep alive the memory of the achievements and sacrifices made by those who served Canada in the defence of freedom and so have contributed to the development of Canada as a nation.

I found a photo of my dad's cousin there.
Photo taken from "A Short History and Photographic Record of the 73rd Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Royal Highlanders of Canada" .

I've absolutely no objections to his photo being there.
More generally, I've no objections to online photos of people long-since dead.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jul 2012 09:16

My reading of this is that *any* photos you've posted on FR could be used.

Unless the original poster can keep control, the older photos (if that is what was meant) could end up being attributed to completely the wrong person.

The moral of this is that unless you are happy to have documents/photos in the public domain, don't upload them to an internet site.

We've all been too trusting.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Jul 2012 12:04

Does anyone understand the new FR site?? I find it totally bewildering. Has the street and workplace search facility disappeared totally?
Jan

Pam

Pam Report 27 Jul 2012 15:19

I was totally bewildered too by the new FR site..