Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wilson - Cannagola Beg, County Armagh, Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katherine

Katherine Report 29 Jul 2012 11:38

Chasing any information on John Joseph Wilson b. 1833 married to Marfareh ?. Story in family something about Scottish Irish but no clear understanding who or what they are on about. They had RJ (Robert?) J (John), Mordecai, James, Margaret, Thomas, Moses and Mary, I think. RJ, J, Mordecai, Margaret and Thomas came to Australia. Thomas, my g-g-granddad arrived in 1895, why then, I would love to know. The others, before him. Moses went to the USA. James stayed on the farm and I don't know what happened to the youngest. I don't know who JJ's parents are, where buried etc, Marfareh's details, or what happened to the one's that stayed home. Can anyone suggest/help further. Cheers, Katherine Wilson

Potty

Potty Report 29 Jul 2012 15:14

Katherine, do you have any more details? When was your greatgrandfather born? Were the family catholics? If they were Scottish Irish, I would expect them to be Presbyterian. Where did you get Marfareh's name from?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Jul 2012 15:18

I'm wondering if Marfareh is a mis-transcription of Margaret?

Could this be their marriage? If so, she was actually also called Wilson:

Ireland, Marriages, 1619-1898

groom's name: John Joseph Wilson
groom's birth date: 1833
groom's birthplace:
groom's age: 23
bride's name: Margaret Wilson
bride's birth date: 1835
bride's birthplace:
bride's age: 21
marriage date: 01 Jul 1856
marriage place: Moyntaghs, Arm, Ireland
groom's father's name: John Wilson
groom's mother's name:
bride's father's name: John Wilson
bride's mother's name:
groom's race:
groom's marital status: Single
groom's previous wife's name:
bride's race:
bride's marital status: Single
bride's previous husband's name:
indexing project (batch) number: M70214-7
system origin: Ireland-EASy
source film number: 101378
reference number: 598

Source Citation
"Ireland, Marriages, 1619-1898," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCL-JP9 : accessed 29 July 2012), John Joseph Wilson, 1856.

Katherine

Katherine Report 30 Jul 2012 08:19

Wow, you guys are awesome. We didn't have the marriage record. Apparently Marfareh is the Irish version of english Margaret. No, they weren't catholic. I have JJ born 1833 but where and when mystery and passing in 1916, can't remember where I got that, but not the date or where he was layed to rest. Marfareh born ?, died ?, but prior to the 1901 census, and JJ remarried, story given from his USA descendant is that Moses didn't like new wife and left country. No children with 2nd wife. James (son) stayed and married a Susanna Boyce and had 6 children, after that, I don't know what happened to my Irish line. Have phoned random Wilson's in Portadown hoping for a match with no luck. Thomas (son) came to Australia and become a police officer in Queensland, just don't know why he came. Any www's that will help further with the irish line and maybe confirm/refute scottish story. Also story of someone associated with the queen's guard or something like that?

Thanks muchly for info so far.

Gee

Gee Report 30 Jul 2012 08:38

Ireland, Civil Registration Deaths Index, 1864-1958
about John Joseph Wilson
Name: John Joseph Wilson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1916
Death Age: 85
Registration district: Lurgan
Death Country: Ireland
Volume: 1
Page: 562
FHL Film Number: 0101606

Gee

Gee Report 30 Jul 2012 08:43

1901 Census

Residents of a house 3 in Cannagolabeg (Breagh, Armagh)
Sh Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Wilson John Joseph 70 Male Head of Family Methodist County Armagh Farmer Can read and write - Married -
Wilson Agnes Jane 55 Female Wife Methodist Co Armagh - Read and write - Married -
Wilson Mary 15 Female Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Henderson Mary Margret 16 Female Servant Catholic Co Armagh General Servant-Domestic Read and write - Not Married -
Caddle Samuel 17 Male Servant Ir Church Co Armagh Farm Servant Read and write - Not Married -
Johnston William 25 Male Servant Ir Church

1911 Census Residents of a house 3 in Cannagola Beg (Breagh, Armagh)

Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Wilson John Joseph 80 Male Head of Family Methodist Co Armagh Farmer Read and write - Widower - - - -
Wilson James 46 Male Son Methodist Co Armagh Farmers Son Read and write - Married - - - -
Wilson Susanna 37 Female Daughter in Law Methodist Co Armagh - Read and write - Married - 16 6 6
Wilson John Ernest 14 Male Grand Son Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Wilson Thomas David 11 Male Grand Son Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Wilson Florence 8 Female Grand Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Wilson Minnie 7 Female Grand Daughter Methodist Co Armagh Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
Wilson Violet 4 Female Grand Daughter Methodist

Gee

Gee Report 30 Jul 2012 08:49

His marriage to Agnes Jane Morrow

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: John Joseph Wilson
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1890
Registration district: Lurgan
Volume: 1
Page: 794
FHL Film Number: 101256

And this could be the sons death?

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985
Name: Mordecai Wilson
Death Date: 1933
Death Place: New South Wales
Father's Name: John J
Mother's Name: Margaret
Registration Year: 1933
Registration Place: Parramatta, New South Wales
Registration Number: 13259

Potty

Potty Report 30 Jul 2012 12:19

familysearch has the following baptisms for children with the correct parents' names:

James Wilson
Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
birth: 22 Jan 1865 0735,?TARTARAGHAN,?ARMAGH,?IRELAND
parents: John Joseph Wilson,? Margaret Wilson

Margaret Jane Wilson
birth: 01 Oct 1866 0706,?TARTARAGHAN,?ARMAGH,?IRELAND
parents: John Joseph Wilson,? Margaret Wilson

Thomas Joseph
birth: 28 Oct 1868 Tartaraghan,? Arm,? Ire
christening: 678,? TARTARAGHAN,? ARM,? IRE
residence: 1868 ,? ,? Armagh,? Ireland
parents: John Joseph Wilson,? Margret Wilson

It also has the following marriage:

parents: John J. Wilson,? Margaret
spouse: Mary E Cole

groom's name: Moses Wilson
groom's birthplace: Ireland
bride's name: Mary E Cole
bride's birth date: 1875
bride's birthplace: Ireland
bride's age: 23
marriage date: 26 Feb 1898
marriage place: Marriage Index, , Misc, New Hampshire
groom's father's name: John J. Wilson
groom's mother's name: Margaret
bride's father's name: Thomas Cole
bride's mother's name: Amelia
indexing project (batch) number: M73155-8
system origin: New Hampshire-VR
source film number: 1001319

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Jul 2012 21:02

Katherine - there is a very well documented tree on Ancestry which seems to have a lot of detail about all the family.

If you don't have access to Ancestry you can join their sister site Mundia for free http://www.mundia.com/gb/

You have to register but it costs nothing. Then just use the "find people" menu and you should get to the tree in question.

Katherine

Katherine Report 31 Jul 2012 00:58

My friend has my tree on ancestry but we still have a lot of holes, we added JJ and M's father's y'day with your help. We got lots from the 1901 and 1911 census but unfortunely cannot find an easy to use irish newspaper site to check if any BDM's for JJ or maybe who both his parents were. After JJ we had stopped but now have just the name of his dad that you helped with. Awesome!!!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 31 Jul 2012 09:25

Katherine ....Have you this info.from PRONI....?

Title : Date of Death : 28 February 1916
Surname : Wilson......... Date of Grant : 28 March 1916
Forename : John Joseph
Registry : Armagh Effects : Effects £531 6s. 9d.
No Image

Full Abstract :
Probate of the Will of John Joseph Wilson late of Carnagola County Armagh Farmer who died 28 February 1916 granted at Armagh to Joseph Jackson School Teacher and George Johnston Merchant.

and this one which may account for his son "not liking" the wife...you can read the Will....(made in 1894)

Title : Date of Death : 24 September 1908
Surname : Wilson Date of Grant : 8 December 1908
Forename : Agnes Jane
Registry : Armagh Effects : Effects £817 17s. 11d.

Full Abstract :
Probate of the Will of Agnes Jane Wilson late of Canagolabeg County Armagh Married Woman who died 24 September 1908 granted at Armagh to David Love Farmer and Andrew George Sloan Solicitor and Land Agent.

Katherine

Katherine Report 2 Aug 2012 09:54

Eringobragh1916, you have myself and my friend filling in some more blanks, thank you, is it possible (anyone) to chase James' line further than the six children or maybe his sister Mary of which I have ZIP, lol. The bits you are probiding are leading us to more info with further dates. You all amaze me.

Katherine <3

Katherine

Katherine Report 2 Aug 2012 10:10

Further research has shown that when Agnes made the will in 1894 she states that the property was 'formerly' owned by her husband JJ, can anyone please let me know if they can access when property changed hands from JJ to AJ and maybe? if he was placed in an institution or aged facility which is maybe why the land was in her name at her death?

Katherine

Katherine

Katherine Report 2 Aug 2012 10:11

Does anyone have Margartet/Marfareh DOD also, we have 1890?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Aug 2012 13:19

Katherine...The Will of Agnes(1894) clearly shows she had already taken over the Farm/land ..she also was a woman of substantial means and guile at that time... !! Considering they married 1890 the the time frame you would need to be looking at is at best 4 yrs.for the aquisition...
Interestingly the Bank she named was in NSW...

JJ was still living at the farm 1901/1911....There could be a number of reasons why the property was aquired by her ...you need to get a copy of JJs Will (1916) to see exactly what he left and to whom...

This is Agnes' Sister and bro. 1901 Census...
Residents of a house 18 in Drummanmore (Hockley, Armagh)

Sarah Morrow spinster farmer 70 Pres. Co Armargh
Richard Morrow Batchelor farmer 59 Pres.Co Armagh

Sarah died 1907 (See Will Calender PRONI)...
Cannot locate Richard 1911....but there is a Death Reg 1912 for a RM Co Armagh b 1850 age at death 62......

Sorry about huge white gap at bottom of this thread.....dont know where thts come from.....

Maura

Maura Report 3 Aug 2012 13:35

Graveyard Name: Drumcree CI
Parish: Drumcree
Town/Townland: Drumcree
County: Armagh
Surname: WILSON
Inscription: Who departed_____ 1872, aged 72 years Also Margaret, wife of John S Wilson who departed this life 9th Feb 1882 aged 52 years Also Agnes Jane, wife of John J Wilson, who departed this life 24th Sept 1908 aged 63 years.

Katherine

Katherine Report 5 Aug 2012 10:49

Said it before, AWESOME!!! Still tracing Marfareh/Margaret's details. Trying to figure out who died in1872, per post. Other Margaret must be JJ's mum. Wife Margaret must have died after last child, Mary b. 1886 and before JJ married Agnes. :-D

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Aug 2012 10:57

Katherine...It appears to be a "Wilson" grave so you would need to be looking for a Wilson b.abt 1800 and dying 1872..mmmm.

Re Agnes' Will did you find out anything about the NSW connection..?

Katherine

Katherine Report 9 Aug 2012 04:49

Hi Erin, re the Will, not yet, but we were very surprised. I am on Holidays next week and we are going to try and find where everyone is buried in Ireland and hopefully the NSW link. Maybe even try and find James' descendents as I think this will clear up the mystery of the land. Maybe even see if JJ and Marfareh were cousins/related.