Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pop ups

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 4 Aug 2012 20:30

has anyone had a problem with pop ups being blocked when searching their tree.i have tried what gr suggested and allowed pop ups but it still doesnt work..i key in a name press search click on the match i want then the tree isminimalised at the bottom.does anyone please have a suggestion.

Sonya

Sonya Report 5 Aug 2012 01:14

I've always had pop ups allowed for GR, which worked fine on the old tree, but ran into problems on the new tree. I've had to turn off the pop up blocker altogether and not just for this site to get pop ups to work on here.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Aug 2012 09:23

I have the same problem on my lap top but my PC seems to be OK

Looks like Roy we need your help :-D

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 6 Aug 2012 19:21

I have just found out how to solve the problem.
Clear the blocked pop ups. Allow pop up for GR then again for GR tree.

In the tree
When clicking on the Record summary against a persons name hold the control key down. This will then override the pop block and open the list of records.
You can do the same for each record and view it.

Hope this is clear :-D :-D

MBSG

MBSG Report 6 Aug 2012 22:39

GR told me to do this for the "You have ... tree matches" "View" but it didn't work for me - any ideas?

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 7 Aug 2012 08:26

Maggie - Good for Roy he filled in the tech bits I missed out - he has jogged the old grey matter and put all my long ago tech certs to shame. Now I've worked through it so I don't make any step mistakes.

GR is working like there are 2 seperated web sites which have been linked together by what is called a hyperlink.
They have different url web addresses - the hot matches are under www.genesreunited.co.uk
Unblock the pop up first then....
Hold down the Control key (Ctrl) before you click on the Hot matches

The tree www.tree.genesreunited.co.uk
Unblock first then....
Hold down the Control key (Ctrl) before you click on the Record matches or Tree matches
Example my own birth
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/search/results/bmdindexedbirths/Robinson/Susan?Yearofbirth=1950&yearofbirthrange=0

If you forget to hold down the control key before clicking on record it will block you and it will not work trying a second time. You have to clear the block first and start again

Warning you may have to repeat the process if you log out or switch off your computer.
If you are not sure which site a record is linked to look at the very top of you computer - example this page http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1307491
You can see clearly the boards are under www.genesreunited.co.uk

Hope I've made it clear -
:-D :-D

MBSG

MBSG Report 7 Aug 2012 08:54

Many thanks for you help - I'll see if I can get my head round your advice now!
Maggie

MBSG

MBSG Report 7 Aug 2012 09:41

Have just changed the pop-up setting to allow the 'tree' web address and it worked! - but must remember to hold the Ctrl down first.
Many, many thanks - you're much better than GR at explaining things!
Maggie

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 7 Aug 2012 11:03

Roy I know and tried it - that is what is supposed to happen.

For some reason I'm not going to stress my brain for now trying to work out why it has a quirk. On my PC it is ok but my lap top is throwing up the quirk hence my advice to hold down the ctrl button.

When it settles down I'll try adding each extention of the links one by one - didn't want to confuse everybody until I'm sure. ;-) ;-)

MBSG

MBSG Report 7 Aug 2012 11:45

Thank you for that Roy but at the moment I'm still having to hold the Ctrl key down but will give that a try later.
Athough this question isn't related, I don't suppose you know why when I preview the list via my File and Print Preview I can only get page 1 up when it should be 1 of ...?
Maggie

Christopher

Christopher Report 7 Aug 2012 22:07

thanks.i have accepted cookies from this site.but when i click on tools then pop up blocker sliding across pop up settings is not highlighted so cannot highlight that..its so frustrating i cannot edit my tree.

Christopher

Christopher Report 7 Aug 2012 22:47

the suggestion on the first line of your reply i tried there is a red circle with a line through and settings is not highlighted.i will try the other.

Christopher

Christopher Report 7 Aug 2012 23:00

thats not working either.now im getting pop ups asking for permission to leave cookies.but not gr.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2012 10:33

I have removed my posts from this thread that helped some members because any changes you make to your browser will not last long

GR want everyone to use the Chrome browser

Roy

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 10 Aug 2012 12:26

Oh Roy why rmove your post you have been most helpful in giving ideas how to solve some of the issues.

Change to Chrome Browser - have both on my laptop but think I'll stick with Explorer - for me their tab system is easier to deal with.