Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bag for use when visiting records office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 5 Aug 2012 09:25

Having just returned from a trip I realise I have left a small notebook behind - fortunately not too much information lost.

What I would like is a bag big enough to hold notebook, Camera, pencil, locker key, small change for coffee or photocopy which could be attached to waist or hung round neck.

It should be CLEAR so security can see it and not too large as most places do not allow large bags to be taken in.

I have a clear make up bag but nowhere to attach it to myself while walking around. I think someone like S & N could make one specially to sell at fairs , record offices etc which would be a popular purchase.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 5 Aug 2012 10:05

I HAVE A CLEAR THICK PLATIC TOTE BAG ITS THE TYPE YOU PUT PHOTOS IN IT HAS THINK NINE OUTSIDE POCKETS FOR PHOTOS,IN THE PAST I PUT CARDS WITH DETAILS OF THE FAMILIES SO YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO TAKE THE CARDS OUT,THE BAG HOLDS A LOT....DOWN SIDE CANT REMEMBER WERE I GOT IT FROM ,BUT POSS TESCO ON THE PHTOTO THINGIE COUNTER

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Aug 2012 11:03

Try searching the internet for clear bags - duffle bags - tote bags - camera bags.

There are quite a few options with straps which look long enough to wear across your body.

I use a clear foolscap/document envelope with a popper fastening. It can hold me specs in a case, keys and a small camera as well as sheets of paper and other stationary.

Why not make the suggestion to one of the genealogy suppliers? If they can source something at a good price, they might decide to add it to their list.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 5 Aug 2012 12:24

Hi

thanks for those tips I did have one of those bags which contain photos maybe able to find it, yes I have thought of contacting a Genealogy Supplier - I am sure it is not just me that leaves items around the records office while moving around searching in different parts of the building.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Aug 2012 12:35

I manged to buy one at the National Archives Kew its a clear bag with shoulder strap that you can hang around you body and keep your hand free,

Unfortunately The National Archive s no longer allow its use which is shame.

Wonder though if they still stock it. Try their website

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Aug 2012 12:36

I think the National Archives might sell the type of bag you require....

But I use the plastic veggie bags from the supermaket - just grab a few when I need them.... :-D

OK they are not too sturdy - but I use 1 for paper etc. 1 for pens etc. and one for everything else.

EDIT - just thought you need something similar for air journeys try airline sites....

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Aug 2012 16:01

This is a new one on me. The first Family Archive I visited made me put everything except pencil and paper in a locker, but since then, nobody has bothered what I have with me or what it is in. They are all very trusting, although most these days have CCTV.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 5 Aug 2012 16:19

I don't want to use an ordinary clear plastic bag as there is no way of keeping it with you while moving around - LMA supply free clear bags but I still find I am having to retrace my steps to see where I last left it - perhaps I get too engrossed with looking or its my age!!

I have written to S & N suppliers so will be interesting to see what they say - if I get a reply.

As to record offices bothering what you take in I find most of them I use are very fussy - Surrey History Centre, National Archives etc

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Aug 2012 17:18

I have just found this on Amazon. Put "PVC Bag Travel Set" into the search box. I think the large bag could be turned into a shoulder bag by threading a length of ribbon through the handle. This is one of the, mostly favourable, reviews.

Great for my Netbook at County Record Offices
This set of see through bags are really useful and are well made.
The largest bag is great for holding my Netbook when I go to County Record Offices (I'm doing my Family Tree)as for security reasons I am not allowed to take other bags into the Search Room. It saves me juggling the Netbook, power cable, mouse, pencils and paper.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 6 Aug 2012 14:48

Hi Andysmum

have just looked at Amazon the PVC travel set looks great. Had a reply from S & N said they will put suggestion to Market Department - don't hold your breath I also suggested a pencil NOT pen on a cord would be useful.

Thanks for replies