Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot matches flame icons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Aug 2012 14:19

Can anybody explain why the hot matches, some have a one flame icon or 3 flame icons. The 3 flame is easier to read because yours and the other persons HM sit side by side on the screen. Was going to send a mesaage to GR to ask but thought there maybe a GR expect out there who may know. :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Aug 2012 14:57

I've wondered that myself. I have one with 17 matches and another with 15 but only one flame. I have another with 14 matches but 3 flames. Not that it matters, I'm in contact with the tree owners anyway.

Thelma

Thelma Report 5 Aug 2012 16:12

The three flames are "super hot matches" and allegedly exact matches whereas the one flame are maybe hotmatches.
EG
----------------------John------------------John
Last name Widgery ----------Widgery
Year of birth 1815------------------- 1815
Place of birth New Zealand-------Bristol

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Aug 2012 02:17

Not in my case, Thelma, The one I have with 17 matches but only one flame are exact in both birth year and birth place for all 17.

However I did just notice that the one with 14 matches and 3 flames has matches for the 14 people but also has the parents of the 14 and they also match. Something new?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Aug 2012 02:57

one flame hot match !

John Wilson
born: 0
birthplace: Scotland

(I used to put a zero if I had no idea when someone was born, with the new tree the year of birth can be left blank - does that mean I will get a match with every eg John Wilson)

Not complaining too much - nice to get hotmatches, but matching the yob as Zero is daft

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 6 Aug 2012 08:36

Thelma's answer seems logical but not in my case my 2 first cousins and sister have in part exactly the same info as me. They are still 1 flame. 3 distant rellies have 3 flames.

Suppose this is one for GR to explain :-D :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Aug 2012 09:09

As nothing about the so-called 'hot matches' makes sense, why should this aspect be expected to?

tempest

tempest Report 6 Aug 2012 12:27

they're for decoration and to add a bit of colour :-D

at least that's what most of mine seem to be, as many are not even luke warm matches never mind hot

Thelma

Thelma Report 6 Aug 2012 14:10

This is my understanding of Hotmatches.
They would be better called Treematches.
Open your tree and click on one of the the red numbers,it will give you record and tree matches.Click on Treematches and you will get a list.
Now to save you doing this with every name in your tree "Hotmatches" used to give a combined list and allowed you to keep or reject matches.This is the one flame matches.
In an attempt to improve the system Genes introduced exact matches only.This is the three flames.
Unfortunately this has resulted in very few matches.
Edit
Margee seems to explain three flames more accurately.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Aug 2012 14:13

I think it's what I said originally. If they also match the 2 parents as well as the person then they give it 3 flames. Mind you, a lot of mine don't match in either year or place of birth. Certainly doesn't merit a flame!