Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help re tree please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine2

Christine2 Report 8 Aug 2012 14:51

I have just come back after a break and I see that we have lost the old tree.
I want to find out where someone ,whose name I don't recognise but it is my tree, fits in. I can find him by search but how do I get him up in his place in my tree please, to see who he is?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2012 15:04

in your tree, click on (List), then scroll down the list until you find them

then click on the name, and then click on ( Full ) you can also use the other parts to show them in relation to Immediate family, Ancestors or Descendants

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2012 15:07

The Search Tree button is now top right of the tree page.

You could also use the 'List' function from the tree page - this can be manipulated like an Excel sheet if typing the name (1st or surname) doesn't work.

It might be possible to do the same from the 'Relatives' word on any page.

It would seem that the tree functions work best if you have the most up-to-date version of your chosen operating system. Some people may also have to check that their operating system has been checked as compatible.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 8 Aug 2012 15:11

Thank you Roy and Detective:) Off to look.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 8 Aug 2012 15:17

Sorry, I give up!! I clicked on his name and then full but all it gave me was my tree in the wrong place. He was born in 1902 and it took me up to the 1700!!
Maybe I shall have to try again when I have a few hours to spare. Or export my tree and put it elsewhere perhaps.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2012 15:35

Just a thought - if he is tucked into the corner of the screen, you might need to 'Drag' the page around to reveal him.

Edit - Because of the size of my tree, it seems to work best using Descendents or Ancestors rather than the Full version. it possibly depends on the numbers in yours

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Aug 2012 17:50

I have just tried this and it worked OK. If you have a lot of names in your tree, srart by clicking on Immediate Family, then put the name you want in the Search Box, making sure you are searching your own tree. When the list of people with that name appears, click the one you want. You should then get him/her with the immediate family.

Which browser are you using? I use Google Chrome, which seems to work better than Internet Explorer. There have been quite a lot of threads about problems with the tree from users of IE, particularly version 8, which is what I used to use.

Christine2

Christine2 Report 8 Aug 2012 18:56

Thank you all:) I finally found him, it was because I only had his wife attached and she is just a branch on my tree which I haven't followed yet.
I am using IE (not sure which version) but it's the general set up of the tree I can't get my head around. The old one was was so easy to use and I liked the way that the person you were adding information to came up on the whole page. This one just isn't my cup of tea I'm afraid.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Aug 2012 11:25

You're not alone, Christine.

Only a tiny handful of members have actually claimed to like the new tree.........

Christine2

Christine2 Report 9 Aug 2012 12:30

Thank you:) It's good to know that it isn't just me.