Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mistakes on transcripts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 9 Aug 2012 09:58

I have been researching my family tree for a few years now and I sometimes find that there is a blatent spelling mistake when info has been transcriped.

Is there anyway of reporting these mistakes or doing some transcribing to help??

I have just started doing the same on family search/LDS

tracy

John

John Report 9 Aug 2012 10:13

You can see how easy it is to make a spelling mistake - blatent!

Tracy

Tracy Report 9 Aug 2012 10:15

ha ha it is indeed
you missed the other one though!!

;-))

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Aug 2012 10:35

transcriped :-D

Roy

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 Aug 2012 10:53

Ancestry allows members to add comments to records of all kinds inc census, BMD, public trees. These comments & corrections are visible to other members. However although (eventually) updates due to errors in the census image OR transcription may added to the index the original record is rarely changed.

FreeBMD have two methods.
(a) a postem where you can add whatever you like ; this is not checked
(b) add a a correction
Submitted error corrections are carefully checked and if ok the FreeBMD record will be changed. I have submitted quite a lot successfully.
However Ancestry does not seem to pick up the FreeBMD updates for a long time.
FreeBMD seems to have no way to report missing entries.

For GenesRU trees all you can do is to send a message to the tree owner.

Sometimes a family will use two versions of a name at random eg Grainger / Granger and sometimes a spelling variation will stick. These are not really errors. Huguenot names especially tend to become Anglicized.

If you know the accent of the area then it is much easier to work out what the entry was meant to show. Regional accents have not changed much over the last 300 years.

Tracy

Tracy Report 9 Aug 2012 10:59

Ok thanks Rollo

The mistakes I have found were from the census image to the transcription, I have then clicked on the image itself and spotted the mistake.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Aug 2012 11:17

If you have found the errors on Ancestry.......notifying them is easy

Look to the left of the RECORD.......not the image............amongst the options is 'Add/view alternative information'.

Click on it, and sumbit your corrections

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Aug 2012 11:20

As far as I can see, the LDS site does not offer amendment facilities..................probably because much of their info is fiction anyway

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 9 Aug 2012 11:38

At least you are checking the image.

Found one on 1911 census on Ancestry where the person doing the alteration could not have checked the image. Ancestry had transcribed 3 families as living together but were actually on three different images but at the same address. Some idiot had changed the names of one family to match that of one of the others.

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Aug 2012 16:12

Ancestry only make it easy to submit certain types of correction.

Suppose, say, Ancestry misspell the parish of Aberdour as Aberlour on the 1861 Scottish census (Aberdour is parish # 169, Aberlour is # 145). You can't correct 1800+ entries, and if you notify Ancestry, they say we'll look at it someday and nothing happens in 2+ years.

jax

jax Report 9 Aug 2012 18:20

You can make corrections on FMP which in turn will then correct it on Genes

jax

Janice

Janice Report 10 Aug 2012 11:10

I managed to report images that didn't match up with links on Family Search by rummaging around for a 'Contact us' type button. From memory it took a while, but I got there in the end, and had a nice e-mail back thanking me.