Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sctolands People

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katie

Katie Report 10 Aug 2012 19:02

Has anyone ever ordered and extract from them before?

Is it just a copy of exactly the same quality image you can view online through thier website?

Regards,

Katie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Aug 2012 20:02

Yes you dont have to order as you can see the actual record with the original handwritind . The way they wrote the records at the time , rather like our parish record

I ordered a death cert from them for an aunt who died in the 1990,s and got a typed death form

Katie

Katie Report 10 Aug 2012 20:25

I've seen the record and it is very poorly copied, difficult to read the writing on when viewing on the website - was just wondering if I spent £12 on the extract if i'd just be getting a printed copy of what i have already seen?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Aug 2012 21:24

I cant help you there, sorry, as never bought an extract copy. If its poorly written though wont any copy be a transcription of what the transcriber reads . Wonder if you can ask them through the site .

There is a Contact us link under the Help and resources heading

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Aug 2012 01:08

30y ago, if you ordered a cert thru the GRO or GROS, someone would copy it out of the register - you might get a handwritten copy or a typed copy. Nowadays, you'll get a scan on the cert/extract.
In each country, you have the option of buying a cert from the local register or the central office (GRO in Southport/ GROS in Edinburgh). In England, the local offices don't usually have imaging capability, so they still copy the register out for you onto the cert - in Scotland, they actually imaged all the local regos, rather than the copy filed with the GROS, so you'll still get the image from the local register. One advantage of the Scottish procedure is you get images of the informant's actual signature on births and deaths, but usually not marrs, as there the original signatures are usually in some church's rego, and all the local office has is the copy the minister filed with them.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 11 Aug 2012 10:07

Hi,
just thought I would add this.
I have downloaded many images from SP.
Once I downloaded an image that was unreadable.I asked on this site if any one could make out what it said.A very kind member gave me the advise to get in touch with SP and tell them about it, which I did.They re scanned the image and e-mailed it to me.
I have since asked for several re scans and SP have always been very helpfull indeed regarding unreadable images

Blue1
hope this helps