Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

trudianne

trudianne Report 11 Aug 2012 07:41

Hi,

With the changes on here, can anyone tell me, if you do not renew your membership, is your tree deleted?

My SIL has not renewed her subs, she is unable to find her tree.

I just renewed my subs recently after a break, I was able to look at my tree while not a member.

Any ideas,

Trudi

patchem

patchem Report 11 Aug 2012 08:05

I did not think that any tree was deleted.
Lots of people have trees on here for free.
Did your SIL give you permission to view her tree?
If so, have you checked to see that it is still there?
Has she looked at the FAQ to see if that can solve the problem?
If no luck there she could email the help line, who will tell her the current situation, and help her find the missing tree.

trudianne

trudianne Report 11 Aug 2012 08:21

thanks, Patchem,

I thought the trees were not deleted.

I am going to my SIL's tomorrow, so will have a look to see if I can find it for her. No I don't have permission to her tree, she has only her husband's side (very large) of the family on GR.

Trudi

patchem

patchem Report 11 Aug 2012 09:41

Just thought-
You can pm her for permission to see her tree, she agrees, and go from there also.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Aug 2012 11:25

When your subs are not renewed then your account reverts back to free membership here is what it says about free membership in the FAQ

It is free to register with Genes Reunited. You can build your family tree, use the search facilities to find possible matches to your family name, add notes against relations in your tree, post photos on your family tree and receive emails from other members and reply to these emails

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=177

Roy

trudianne

trudianne Report 12 Aug 2012 07:32

Strange, today I viewed my SIL's sisters tree, there are no names listed on the tree. (SIL thinks there was approx. 400 names).

Just has tree shared with her (0 relations) - no names are entered!!

Do you think there is a possibility that she has deleted the names by mistake. Why would her tree still be showing as shared if there are no names in it?

:-S :-S :-S

BTW on main page, build your tree it says - 0 individuals in your tree

Kense

Kense Report 12 Aug 2012 07:50

I would think that a tree remains shared even if you delete all the people in it. If you then add new names then they would be seen by those with access to that tree.

I think you would find it difficult to delete 400 names by accident without deleting the tree unless you uploaded a gedcom file (which would overwrite the existing tree} and the upload failed.

patchem

patchem Report 12 Aug 2012 07:51

Get in touch with the support people at genes, as it is probably because of the various problems described in other threads, and nothing that your SIL has done.

trudianne

trudianne Report 12 Aug 2012 08:49

Have done so, will wait & see!!

Thanks again

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 12 Aug 2012 09:50

When you delete your tree then you still have a tree? on GR but it will only have the tree owners details, because it needs a home person as a default

Several members have mistakenly used the delete button when they have had problems thinking that the next time they open the tree these problems would be rectified and the tree would reload

BE WARNED if you delete your tree it will be GONE

ALWAYS keep a backup Gedcom file on your home PC

Roy

trudianne

trudianne Report 12 Aug 2012 11:20

Roy,

She doesn't remember deleting it - but could have done it without knowing. She does have back up copies.

trudianne

trudianne Report 16 Aug 2012 23:41

Just a update on my SIL's tree - tree definitely gone. GR support reckon because she amended her email address 1 week ago she deleted her account, (all her threads are still there). Strange too, they said that her previous email HAD NOT been used since 2008, but she had had GR notifications to that email address up until 8th August, 2012!!!!

Very strange and
:-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S