Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help - British Citizen born in Kenya c.1963

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 11 Aug 2012 20:43

Wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction - have tried a couple of other sites including findmypast but am struggling.

I know I have a second cousin once removed who would be approximately 2 years younger than myself, meaning he was born c.1963

At this time his father was working in Nairobi, and was living there with his wife. I have their marriage in Middlesex before they went abroad, and the birth of his sister, again in Middlesex after their return in 1965, but can find no records for him.

From info I have read I suspect he would have been recorded 'locally' in Kenya and not necessarily via the British Consul, but I'm not sure how he'd have had to be registered when he came back to the UK with his parents.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful - thanks.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Aug 2012 21:15

I don't know about Kenya, but I would expect him to have been registered with the British Consul, if the facility existed (which it did in Kenya), as that would give him a British style Birth Certificate. If he was not registered with the Consul he will be a Kenyan National, as Kenya had achieved independence by 1963.

My son was born in Ghana in 1963 and has both a Ghanaian Birth Cert. and a British one.

Try putting his name in the Search Box above, in the Overseas Births pre 1995 bit. If you have a platinum sub. you can see the actual image.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Aug 2012 21:15

At that time a child would most likely be entered on the mother's passport. Would this be possible if they had not been registered through the British system?... Probably not, so I would expect that it might yet be found in the Overseas births section of the GRO INDEX.

Gwyn

Trudy

Trudy Report 11 Aug 2012 21:17

Thanks Andysmum - dont have a Platinum membership - do most of my searching on findmypast - but will have a look and see what I can find.

I was hoping he might have needed a British style one at some point as he returned from Kenya whilst still under the age of 5

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 11 Aug 2012 21:22

I think I am right in saying that if you don't get a British Certificate at birth you can't get one later.

Gwyn - you are right. To get my son on my passport I had to produce his British Birth Certificate.

Trudy

Trudy Report 11 Aug 2012 21:27

thanks both for the information - will go on a good search tomorrow and see what I can find

Trudy

Trudy Report 11 Aug 2012 21:31

thanks both - have found him on the Kenya High Commision records for 1961 - thank you for all your help