Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry and Find My Past

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 11 Aug 2012 20:45

I am thinking of changing from Ancestry to Find My Past for the many parish records they have (actual images) in Cheshire, where a lot of my relatives come from.

Can anyone tell me if I let my Ancestry membership lapse for a while could I still view the trees which I have permission to at the moment or would these disappear.

Any advise too, would be appreciated on the pros and cons of Ancestry/Find My Past, if at all possible.

Thanks, Marilyn :-S

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Aug 2012 21:51

Check their home pages - see what they offer.....then make the decision based on your own needs.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Aug 2012 00:31

the new familysearch has lots of Parish Records, including Cheshire ones, on there ........ and it is free.

www.familysearch.org/

FMP seems to have a lot of the same problems that GR has been suffering :))

also ancestry is currently loading up more and more Parish Records.

sylvia

Susan

Susan Report 12 Aug 2012 08:08

Hi MarilynB

I have both but I would stick to the one you have now.

They are loading new information all the time....can't beat them in my mind anyway.

THis may answer you riginal question...i just googled it.

Your Family Tree—You’ve Built It… But What Happens to It if You Cancel?
Of course, with Ancestry.com’s amazing resources, it’s not a surprise that practically everyone wants to build an online family tree on their site. You start out with what you know, a few births and deaths, and go from there. Pretty soon you’re finding birth records, military records, and more, vigorously adding them to your family tree. You’ve done a great job and hope to do more, but for one reason or another, you cannot renew your Ancestry.com subscription for another year. Maybe you have family problems that need increased attention, or maybe there are some unexpected births and deaths going on. So you cancel your subscription. Has all of that effort that you put into your family tree gone to waste? No!

You Continue to Have Access to Your Family Tree Even Without a Subscription
Even without a subscription, you can login to your account (same username and password) and continue to enjoy your family tree. Want to check some dates for births and deaths? No problem. Want to show aunt Betty your impressive work? Go right ahead. The only thing is that you can’t access the birth records and military records that you found unless you resubscribe (or unless you had the foresight to save them to your hard drive).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 12 Aug 2012 11:41

I don't find the Parish records on FMP very good. Anc is much better and their is loads of Cheshire on IGI. FreeBMD /cheshire county has records from 1837 many giving the mothers maiden name. I've found loads of certs not available on BMD :-D :-D

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 12 Aug 2012 11:49

Both Ancestry and FMP have their pros and cons.

Why not have a go at the 2 week free trial (you do not get access to everything) but it does give an idea of the sites and how they work. Remembering to cancel before the 2 weeks are up!!

;-)

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Aug 2012 16:31

Findmypast.com Worldwide is still on special offer about £40 for year.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 12 Aug 2012 18:07

Thank you all of you for all your replies. I have now gone for Find My Past for just 6 months, I can get all the actual images I am interested in, might let Ancestry lapse for a couple of months, (mistake or not I will find out lol).

Thanks again for all your very helpful advice.

Marilyn

Walt

Walt Report 12 Aug 2012 20:50

No idea about parish records for Cheshire but FMP parish records for Derbyshire are very "iffy", some OK, some lacking any detail and some quite wrong. I have wasted money with FMP since quite a bit of the info misleads you and you just do not know you have added rubbish to your records.