Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Look Website

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 15 Aug 2012 22:37

Is it just me or there are others out there who do not like the look of the new GR website?

I would have thought that there would have been enough money raised through subscriptions, etc. without the need to incorporate those irritating and distracting ads that pop up all over the place. There is already enough text to look at that is relevant to the site without these annoying, flickering images.

I couldn't see much wrong with the previous layout and suspect that the change was less to do with improving the site and more to do with raising income.

I'll see how things go but will probably cancel my subscription next time.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Aug 2012 23:21

I can manage to ignore them - they have always been present.

Some people have downloaded adblocker which apparently gets rid of them. ;-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Aug 2012 23:25

Adblock is a very useful tool

The version I use seems only to be compatible with Google Chrome. It certainly doesn't function with IE

I'm not enamoured of the new look...........there was a so-called 'consultation period' with a handful of members, but the changes were foisted on us regardless

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 15 Aug 2012 23:29

I access GR through the South Africa site and don't get the annoying, flickering ads: http://www.genesreunited.co.za

As for the new look, except I'd like the background colour a little softer, I'm fine with that. Websites have to keep up with the technology that drives them. As I work for someone who creates software/websites, I know what is involved in updating. It takes ages and lots of testing, especially when the system you're working with is changed which messes up all your hard work.

Ozi

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Aug 2012 23:42

Comparing za with uk -

za has an advert for Friendsreunited while uk has the Post office credit card - thats viewing without adblock :-S

If GR could attract za advertisers, that could probably all change

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 15 Aug 2012 23:50

Let's hope it stays a secret.

Ozi

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Aug 2012 10:59

Nannylicious
If you have a quick look through various sites (the Genes blog is typical) you will see that your opinion is absolutely the majority. Something like 9 out of 10 prefer old layout and 3 out of 10 are angry enough to leave because of the new layout. Very many have already ticked their "Auto Renew-Off" button and many have left already (or have said that they were about to leave and then not posted again).

Statistics quoted here were collated by a Francesca and nothing official from Genes yet. But she seems to be about right in her analysis.