Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abbreviation on parish records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 19 Aug 2012 19:59

Does anybody know what the abbreviation MEVT stands for?
It is shown after my great (x6) grandfather's name on the baptism records for 3 of his children, it is also shown after some other father's names.
Baptisms in Stepney 1783/85/91.
Many thanks

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 Aug 2012 20:25

Did find this site for abbreviations, but I can't see the one you have:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rigenweb/abbrev.html#E

Jan

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 20:28

My first thought was MEOT - Mile End Old Town - but that would not be shown after the name

Would be useful to view any entry

Kense

Kense Report 19 Aug 2012 20:36

You are right Glitter Baby it does say X of M E O T.

There are others of MENT, Ratcliff etc.

EDIT: in the OP's case it is MENT, the N looking like a V.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 21:18

So Mile End New Town ?

Kense

Kense Report 19 Aug 2012 21:24

Yes.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 21:35

So in the right area

Mile End New Town is a former hamlet within the East End of London. Its area is now part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

Following a period of rapid growth it became a hamlet within the large ancient parish of Stepney from 1690, and was split off as a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1841 and civil parish in 1866.

wisechild

wisechild Report 20 Aug 2012 07:12

There was also Mile End New Town. Easy to misread an N for a V. Same area, now covered by Tower Hamlets.

Carol

Carol Report 20 Aug 2012 15:18

Many thanks for all your help. Yes, looking at it again, it is more likely to be N rather than V, and it looks like there are other entries with MEOT so it all makes sense. Seems obvious now but after some time staring at the old handwriting just to find the right name I was getting a bit weary!

Carol