Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Census Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 20 Aug 2012 20:28

Can anyone please explain to me why I can find a census record on findmypast but not on here or ancestry?
I have tried adjusting the dob for the person that I'm looking for but still come up with nothing.
Many thanks

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Aug 2012 20:36

May have been mistranscribed. Post the names if you want a lookup.Usually not the DOB thats wrong, but the spelling of the names, try using first names only.

Andy

Jill

Jill Report 20 Aug 2012 20:58

Thanks for that :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Aug 2012 19:38

If you can actually see the FMP transcription, it will have a census ref like:
Census Reference:RG14PN32212 RG78PN1850 RD589 SD1 ED2 SN232

Try searching for first names only specifying the piece # 32212 in the above example. (That was a Welsh piece #, but English ones work the same).
Alternatively, just search for the piece # and house sequence # (232 above) with no names specified.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Aug 2012 20:09

The main problem around the lack of finding records on any of the 3 databases you named is that they were all transcribed by different people

And sadly when transcribing you have to type what you see and not what you know.
Also some are done by machine and many are done abroad, so no local knowledge.

It makes finding some ancestors a bit more difficult but turns us all into detectives more determined to find those elusive hidden rellies.

And in some perverse way turns you/us into more experienced researchers because we become more aware of all the places and convoluted spellings we need to look into. I LOVE IT..... :-D

Jill

Jill Report 21 Aug 2012 21:48

Thank you for all the wonderful information, hopefully I'll be able to put it into good use when I'm next on an ancestor hunt!