Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Records.Robert Marsden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sonya

Sonya Report 21 Aug 2012 14:11

I have serial no. of my Grandfather Robert Charles Marsden, his regiment when he was killed in France 26 august 1918 and memorial place Vis En Artois. How do I find out when he joined up and where he went during his service? Thanks sonya
Looks as though I will have to go to Kew. Thanks I now have the war diary for that date so can see the battle where he died.near Arras.
I just need to know date of enlistment...he was in RFC for a short time before East Yorks... Enlisted Stepney London but no date.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 21 Aug 2012 14:29

WW1 army records are on Ancestry, bear in mind that only 30% of these records have survived.

If you dont subscribe to that site, if you give his details it can be looked at.

George

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Aug 2012 14:43

If his service record has not survived you can still gain info from his medal card and also look him up on the CWGC which should give you an insight into the history of the cemetery and the battles soldiers buried their took part in

http://www.cwgc.org/

Roy

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Aug 2012 16:52

You can also look at the War Diary for his battalion to see what they were involved. Some are online here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/army.asp

The rest (assuming they have survived) are at the National Archives.

Sonya

Sonya Report 21 Aug 2012 16:55

I found on War Graves that he has no grave..just on the Memorial at Vis.En-Artois
I looked on medals and he had the victory medal..no information. He was with the East Yorks 1st Batt at death.
Can I find where they were on 26 Aug 1918 (right at the end of the war)?

Potty

Potty Report 21 Aug 2012 17:17

Try looking at the cemetary details on the CWGC site . They quite often give details of what campaigns the men buried there were involved in.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Aug 2012 17:21

The Diary is here . You can download it for £3.36

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8199391&queryType=1&resultcount=4

Sonya

Sonya Report 21 Aug 2012 18:15

Thank you I will download that. sonya