Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE HISTORY OF A HOUSE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudi

Trudi Report 21 Aug 2012 15:34

Hi, I am hoping that someone can help me please. I m trying to find out further information on the residents who lived at various houses in the same street in Chichester. I have all the census information and my relatives information as it seems that members of the same family occupied several numbers in the same street.
What I need to know is whether I can find out who has lived at those various houses in the street since 1911- a type of house history.
I would also like to try and find out more about the previous owners of my own house. Is there such a site please?
Many thanks in anticipation of a response.

Derek

Derek Report 21 Aug 2012 15:57

if you have access to FindMyPast......the census details up to and including 1911 can be searched by address as well as by name...........after 1911 you're very much in the hands of Electoral Rolls....and most local Archives carry the information you require.

Derek.

Trudi

Trudi Report 21 Aug 2012 16:01

Thank you Derek

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Aug 2012 16:24

The previous owners of your house will be listed in the Deeds of the property

Trudi

Trudi Report 21 Aug 2012 16:56

Thank you- I thought it was only the people who you bought it from; so I will now contact my solicitor to get the answer on the history of my own house- thank you

RStar

RStar Report 21 Aug 2012 18:59

I would advise writing to the local paper for that area - elderly people like things like this and may share their info. I wrote to the paper in Newport and found family.

Trudi

Trudi Report 21 Aug 2012 19:40

Thank you Romany star; glad to hear you found family via this method. I may well try this.

Jenstillsearching

Jenstillsearching Report 21 Aug 2012 20:33

If the Deeds aren't available local libraries in the UK hold Electoral roles for the local area or the British Library holds them all. You can trace residents of a particular house this way. However changes to the privacy laws mean there can be local hesitancy about when the data can be released and of course lately people can opt out of the published electoral role..........

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Aug 2012 21:26

Why not have a look on the Land Registry website http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/ You can download title registers, they give a guide to what's available.

Trudi

Trudi Report 21 Aug 2012 22:39

Thanks all, much appreciated.