Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Writers' mark on typed Certicates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 24 Aug 2012 16:26

Just general info for researchers:

Have noticed that some BDM certs are typed out rather than photo copies of originals.
Never gave it much thought until today when I received a marriage cert with the date 2 years out -1952 instead of 1950

Phoned the Gen Reg Office to complain then asked why it was typed. She said that some entries are so faded it is difficult to scan then so they are tagged 'writers'.
Noticed on the General Cert Info sheet it is markere 'Writers'

You learn something new every day.

Edited - forgot to mention they are sending me a replacement

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Aug 2012 18:31

I think I would rather have a copy of the faded original than a typed copy where the wrong date has been typed.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 24 Aug 2012 19:35

Margee, I can assure you that you would not. I have a copy of a faded original and have no idea what half of it says. The only reason I know what the details are is that I have the original as well and that too is very faded.

Copy sent from a distant cousin. So I can only assume his copy is from the Registrars and that no available copies are that good.

Would rather have a typed record that I can read. Not that worried about seeing ancestors writing. Most only put an X anyway!!!!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Aug 2012 21:36

Typed copies are someone's interpretation of what they see. I'm with Margee and would prefer to decipher it myself.

We have seen copies of the same certificate where one person thought the bride was Maria, but another named her as Maud.

Gwyn

Janice

Janice Report 25 Aug 2012 00:08

I've had a typed copy where they got the name of the registration district wrong!!