Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confirmation of Ann Tonnar

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 26 Aug 2012 08:31

Hi Guys

I really need an outsiders view on this!

My Decendant Ann Tonnar sometimes spelled (Tonar,Toner,Tonner & Tonnar) I have her DOB: Abt 1839 in Ireland. I'm trying to confirm where in Ireland she was born and more to the point, Who her mother was.

According to all the Census records she was Born Abt 1839 in Ireland. On her Marraige Cert I have her parents as James Tonnar & Mary Harrison (The cert is a bit fuzzy but i beleive that this is what it is)

On her Death Cert i have the Mother listed as Mary Mulligan (Whitch is Clear to see)

She lived around Hamilton in Lanarkshire,Scotland and this is where she was married and died. Can any of you see something that i can't? Was her Father married twice? What was her mothers real name Mary Harrison or Mary Mulligan?

She married James McNamee in Hamilton on the 23/11/1859.
Thanks in Advance!

Garry

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2012 09:09

Duplicate post

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1309086?jump=1309086

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 26 Aug 2012 11:33

Garry

Having liitle luck so far in your quest for Ann's birthplace c 1839 in Ireland.

But may be helpful to list the censuses:

C1871 Hamilton

James McNAMEE, 30, tambourer, b Ireland
Ann, 30, b Ireland
James, 10, b Hamilton
Mary Ann, 8, b Ham
Margaret, 7, b Ham
Thomas, 5, b Ham
Jane, 3, b Ham
John, 1, b Ham
Michael TONNER, 47, brother in law, coalminer, b Hamilton (age should be 17, I think, not 47)

IN C1861 at 14 Grammar School Square, Hamilton:
James TONNER, 47, railway lab, b Ireland
Mary, 42, b Ireland
John, son, 21, b Ireland
Thomas, 19, son, coal miner, b Ireland
James, son, 17, b Ireland
Mary, dau, 13, b Ireland
Michael, son, 7 b Hamilton
John, son, 4, b Hamilton
Andrew, son, 2, b Hamilton
Ann, dau, 21, lace worker, b Ireland
James McNAMEE (McMANNIS), son in law, b Ireland
James McNAMEE(MCMANNIS), grandson, 6 months, b Hamilton

And in C1871 at 14 Grammar School St, Hamilton
James TONNER, 55, b Ireland
James TONNER, son, 35, miner, b Ireland (age looks wrong)
John TONNER, son, 14, miner , b Hamilton
Andrew TONNER, son, 12, b Hamilton

Some initial thoughts
1. There is a big gap between birth of Mary TONNER in c 1848 in Ireland and birth of Michael TONNER in c 1854 in Hamilton. Why? Where were the family in C1851?
2. Have you tried to follow the TONNER children through the various censuses under married name etc? Did they always put just "Ireland" as place of birth.
3. Wonder if both teh McNAMEE and TONNER families came from same part of Ireland.
4. Did Michael emigrate to USA in 1878. Does Co Donegal ring any bells.
5. Why are John and Ann both aged 21 in C1861 (are they twins?)

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths

BasketmakersHawkersTinsmiths Report 27 Aug 2012 08:00

Thanks John

I can't find them anywhere in 1851, but this is the confusing part, the censuses are all stating different things

Garry