Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RAF GROUND CREW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 26 Aug 2012 20:00

Trying to find information on my grandfather who I believe was ground crew during the first world war. Been to Kew and couldn't find anything but wonder if I was looking in the right place or is there somewhere else I can check. His name was Joseph Tucker b1896 and was described as ex- RAF in 1917 when his daughter died.. Thanks for any help.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 26 Aug 2012 20:12

Jayne, unfortunately about 70% of WW1 records were destroyed in WW2. Where was he born?
Jan

safc

safc Report 26 Aug 2012 20:17

hi jayne try here

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Aug 2012 20:43

In 1917 he could not be described as Ex-RAF. The Royal Air Force was not known as such until it was founded on 1/4/1918.

If he had been associated with flying prior to 1918 it would be with the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) or the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS).

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Aug 2012 10:41

Contact the RAF Museum at Hendon and they may be able to point you in a direction where you can find out more about his job if not able to find his records.

My g/uncle was a Rigger in the RFC, no records but I know what his job entailed.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Aug 2012 10:55

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/royalflyingcorpsairmen.htm

Roy

xDaisyx

xDaisyx Report 27 Aug 2012 14:29

Hi Jayne,
There are 4 J Tuckers on Find my past RAF muster rolls.
Have you seen this info ?
Their RAF numbers are
Let me know if you would like the rest of the info, no addresses I'm afraid.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Aug 2012 15:02

Agreed, the 1917 date would make it impossible for the cert to say RAF. His record if RFC may be on Ancestry amongst the Army records, or at the National Archives in series AIR79, but only if he served after 1918 which does not seem to be the case here