Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CodsallKid

CodsallKid Report 26 Aug 2012 20:42

My half sister was born on 30th September 1929. On her birth certificate is writted 'adopted' and signed by the superintendant registrar. Now, I have known my half sister all my life and this'adoption' means nothing to either me or my half brother. Her parents ,my mother and her father were married four months before the birth and both are named on the birth certificate My half sister died some years ago and I have no family left that can shed any light on this..
Certainly the idea that she was adopted seems ridiculous as she was always with my mother. Her father however did 'do a moonlight' some years later but not before fathering 2 more children.
Any help or advice would be most helpful.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Aug 2012 21:04

,If i understand you correctly your saying both parents are on the birth cert but married after the birth date? and the child remained in that family

Check for another birth entry for her after the original birth date and the parents marriage,

I'm not sure but i have seen some where that a parent had to adopt their own child when re registering the birth after marriage, but i'm not sure in what circumstances
this happens

some one else will probably no more than me about this so i will watch this thread to see what others think

Roy

Edit, just noticed they married before the birth, do you have the marriage cert

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Aug 2012 21:29

Did your mother perhaps later remarry and that husband adopt your half sister?

Gwyn

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Aug 2012 21:49

As Gwyn said, it's worth looking for another birth for her on the index, as it would only be the new husband who adopted her i would have thought their would be an entry on the index possibly with a reference pointing to the original birth,

A full adoption would not be listed on the birth index and only the child would have access to the original birth cert

Roy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Aug 2012 22:30

Just a thought, but are you sure that the man your mother married four months before the birth was actually the baby's father? If he wasn't, probably no-one would have known, but he might have thought he needed to adopt the baby to make it all legal.

Penny

Penny Report 27 Aug 2012 07:03

are you sure the cert is the correct one?

How common is the name and are all the other details correct/asccurate?

CodsallKid

CodsallKid Report 27 Aug 2012 11:24

No doubt certificate is correct. Birth of Pauline June Turner in Sept 1929 following marriage of my mother to 1st husband in April 1929. Perhaps 1st husband wasn't the father, I guess I will never know.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 27 Aug 2012 18:23

I'm assuming that you are from the second marriage. Perhaps your Father adopted her for legal reasons. (If something happened to your Mother her new husband would have had no rights to look after your half sister, authorise hospital treatment etc)

jax

jax Report 27 Aug 2012 22:01

I also think she may have been adopted by your father...did she use your surname or her fathers?

CodsallKid

CodsallKid Report 28 Aug 2012 10:22

My half sister retained her father's last name until she got married. My mother and father hadnt met when she was born in. My parents married in 1946.
Seems like she may not have been the daughter of my mothers 1st husband after all. Guess I will never know.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Aug 2012 12:47

If she was not the daughter of your mothers first husband then his name would not appear on the original birth cert under column 4 (fathers name) are you 100% sure that this info is on the original birth cert

Roy

CodsallKid

CodsallKid Report 28 Aug 2012 15:32

Definately both names on Pauline's birth certificate are those of my Mother and her husband Matthew Turner.
My two half brothers share the same parents on their cert in 1934 and 1936.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Aug 2012 19:58

Do their certificates say Adopted and have they got original dated copies or ones applied for later?

Gwyn

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2012 19:58

Do your half brothers have adopted on their certs?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Aug 2012 20:00

What year was Pauline's cert. issued?

Rose