Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blown away

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Aug 2012 18:50

Hi fellow researchers!
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and just need to share this with people who will understand.
Over the last few hours I have been helping someone find his mother whom he hasn't seen since he was 5, some 35 years ago I think. In a nutshell he has now spoken to her and she is visiting him tomorrow. Obviously this is fantastic for them both.
I am not showing off - anyone could have done this, there were good names to work with - but it almost seems like nobody should be able to do anything so profound so easily and quickly. It's quite a responsibility isn't it.
Does any of this make sense to anybody but me!
Thanks for reading this.
A pleased but emotional Brummiejan.

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 27 Aug 2012 19:12

Hi Jan,

No wonder you feel emotional, but very well done.

As much as it is nice to find rellie's for others, this search is a step up but it's not as easy for some folk as some researchers think it is.

They may not have met again at all without some help.

Kind Regards
Amanda x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Aug 2012 19:19

Thanks Amanda. I don't think he could have done it alone - at least not yet - as he isn't a family tree person, as it were, and doesn't have access to the resources that many of us do. But anybody who helps out on here could have found her (well, her sister actually!).
What makes it particularly amazing is that her sister's husband is listed on BT online complete with phone number and address! My contact lost no time phoning them up, what a brave man.
Just crossing fingers the meeting goes well, but she is obviously very happy to meet up as she is travelling quite a distance to meet him.
What a story, you couldn't make it up could you.
jan :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Aug 2012 19:23

Well done! Even though you aren't related, you must have felt that you took 'ownership' while you were helping them.

Fingers crossed that you get to hear how things went, even if you don't want to talk about it on the Boards.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Aug 2012 19:27

Well, this man seems like a lovely bloke and plans to show his mother the chain of PM's we have exchanged! I can't imagine what it will be like for them. Hope she doesn't think I am an interfering old nutter.
You are right, D've, though it's none of my business, I can't help but feel a bit of attachment to them. Funny isn't it?
jan :-S

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 27 Aug 2012 19:42

Well done Jan. I saw you having a go at that earlier on. As you say I just hope that their meeting goes as well as I'm sure they both (And you) hope.

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 27 Aug 2012 20:15

Oh well done Jan how lovely
I went through this on here with my dad and his sister and yes it is all overwhelming but such a terrific feeling as im sure they will both be feeling so many emmotions as you are too
I couldnt have done it without all the help of folks like you who made my dads dreams come true to be reunited with his sister
Well done
PP x

alviegal

alviegal Report 27 Aug 2012 21:50

Well done Jan. I really hope everything turns out well. Give yourself a pat on the back and hope that lovely feeling you have just now lasts.

I know people slate GR at times but when things like this happen, it makes me glad that people have a place to go where they will find people like you who are willing to go the extra mile and, hopefully, change their lives for the better.

I also know that people like you do it for the love of it and Gr have nothing to do with any of the hard work, time and effort put into these lookups but they provide the platform for it.

So well done again Jan. You deserve to be very pleased with yourself. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 27 Aug 2012 22:11

Very well done Jan. I can fully understand when you say you have a feeling of attachment towards them.

I so hope it works out for them and it's lovely to know his mum is wasting no time in making that first visit to see him.

Chrissie x

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Aug 2012 22:16

Jan - it sounds like you're really chuffed with yourself - deservedly, I would say.
Can't help feeling the guy's pretty gutsy, or maybe driven, and that's what overcame the nervousness I know I would feel.
Well done.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Aug 2012 22:17

Well, thanks so much for the lovely comments everyone! It wasn't quite what I expected, I suppose I just wanted to let off steam as everything moved so fast. It's quite something to be a part of this kind of thing.
I only wish I had been in this position myself a few years ago. My husband's father left when he was four, and as it turns out by the time I had joined this site (never mind developed some researching knowledge) he had died. My husband barely remembers him and he never met me or his grandson. So sad and something I shall always regret, especially as he lived just a few miles away and in fact died in the hospital I work in.
Maybe this is part of why helping to find this man's mother has afftected me so much, who knows.
jan

lavender

lavender Report 27 Aug 2012 22:35

So well done, that's amazing. Hope it goes well for them but you can give yourself a pat on the back for your work and interest x :-)

Gee

Gee Report 28 Aug 2012 10:17

Jan

When I watch WDYTYA and other programmes that bring people together, I often sit crying, either with happiness or sadness for the people involved so I CAN imagine how you must be feeling, having played a key part in this reunion :-)

Youve given this mother and son a chance and an opportunity to have a relationship - its up to them now......and what a gift!

So well done........you interfering old nutter ;-)

<3

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Aug 2012 10:38

Takes one to know one Gins ... !
Thanks for the lovely comments, and Lavender too. I didn't expect all these pats on the back but they are very nice I must say.
Feeling a bit nervous for him though!
Jan :-D

Gee

Gee Report 28 Aug 2012 11:10

:-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 28 Aug 2012 15:18

I understand completely. About five years ago I was contacted ( not via G R) by girl who had her adoption file which included a letter from her mother saying she hoped that the daughter would find her one day. I love a challenge and think that in most cases everybody should have the chance to know who their real mother is if they want to know.

I found her mum and her half brother and they met up but there was no emotional bonding and they just send each other Christmas cards now. But X has a photo of her father and knows the reason she was put up for adoption and that there were no known genetic illnesses in the family. During the search I was on an incredible high with each step that took them nearer to meeting. On the day they met OH and I sat at home and kept saying things like ' X is on her wait to meet her mother now" and ooh I wonder how they are getting on..etc etc and we couldn't wait for her phone call after the meeting.

So well done to you keep up the good work.

Wendy

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 28 Aug 2012 18:48

Passes tissues to Jan...............<3

Good for you.................. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

brummie46

brummie46 Report 29 Aug 2012 18:51

Brummiejan, well you have brought quite some happiness to some people and hope the meeting goes well.
You should be so proud of yourself for what you have found, also to all other searches you have carried out for other people for it all helps other in what they are looking for.
Think we will have to rename your Brummie Star!!!