Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

German Look-up for Dresler please XX

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 28 Aug 2012 14:52

Hi, I have found some Taunton siblings who married Dresler siblings and it would appear that the Dresler parents came from Germany.

As per usual typos and transcripts alter the names (sometimes spelt Dressler and Hermina/Hermene/Hermione?) but as far as I can tell John Dresler 1851 (a blacksmith), his wife Hermina 1859 and their son John 1884 came over in 1884 or 1885 as John in on the 1891 census born in Germany but son Fredrick born in 1885 was born in Essex.

Frederick married Florence Taunton and served in the royal engoneers in WWI

Ida married Herbert Taunton.

1891 Census

Name: John Dresler
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Hermene Dresler
Where born: B E, Germany
Civil parish: Walthamstow
Ecclesiastical parish: St Saviours
County/Island: Essex
Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: Walthamstow
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1353
Folio: 59
Page Number: 28
Household Members:
Name Age
John Dresler 40
Hermene Dresler 31
John Dresler 7
Fred Dresler 5
Anna Dresler 3
Ida Dresler 1

It is the German element I am interested in....when did they come over? Where in Germany did they come from....Ive found a Hermina Dressler record coming over from Hamburg but not sure if this is her as i only have basic membership on Ancestry and cant do foreign look ups.....any info would be gratefully received...many thanks in advance

Jan X

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 28 Aug 2012 15:06

I don't think that Ancestry will offer much hope on that one.

I would suggest that maybe it would be an idea to take a look at www.familysearch.org to see if you can identify the John Dres(s)ler marriage to Hermima. Then via I.G,I,, see if you can see where they were both born.

Good luck.

safc

safc Report 28 Aug 2012 15:07

Marriages Jun 1882 (>99%)
Dresler Johann Whitechapel 1c 783 xxxxxxxx
Hinrichs Hermine Whitechapel 1c 783 xxxxxxxxx
JUGGINS Joseph John Whitechapel 1c 783
Sest Caroline Christine Whitechapel 1c 783

Jan

Jan Report 28 Aug 2012 15:11

cheers safc that looks like its them........son John must have been born here will check the census returns....I either cross refed or didnt red it properly :o)

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 28 Aug 2012 15:13

In the 1911 census John Jnr's birthplace is shown as St George in the East, London.

Births Jun 1883
DRESLER Johann Heinrich St. Geo. East 1c 397

Jan

Jan Report 28 Aug 2012 15:38

Cheers Jonesy

hmmm tracing is going to be hard due to spellings :o/ could be Dreschler or Drexler........esp if they married here and didnt come over as a couple......and her surname could be Heinrich...due to Johann Jnr...but our census keepers couldn't spell English names :oP.....oh well guess another one to put on the back burner for bit for tracing back to Germany!

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 28 Aug 2012 15:50

Jan,

I know what you mean as I had a similar problem trying to discover whereabouts in Germany my wife's maternal great grandfather was born. In the end it was through I.G.I. that I managed to find his baptism in Bavaria and via that I managed to discover his parents marriage.

I never did discover exactly when he came to England but as he does not appear in the 1871 census and marries in 1874 it must have been between those dates. He never applied for naturalisation and his English born wife automatically became a German national by marrying a German. Ironically after his death in 1904 she then had to apply for naturalisation to become a British citizen again.

Good luck with your quest..

Jan

Jan Report 28 Aug 2012 16:04

Well I guess if I was that fussed I could order a marriage cert to see if it gives parents but it is such a sideways move on my tree I don't feel that curious enough at the moment to pay for something which might not have the info on ;oD

Jan

Jan Report 28 Aug 2012 16:09

But in my seraching I have found something to make me smile... German family "Kustard" who were sugar bakers.......