Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

obtaining certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 29 Aug 2012 00:54

I would like others' opinions on the best way of obtaing birth, marriage and death certificates from england if you live overseas. I am worried about using web sites and credit card without knowing the most reliable. - Penny

jax

jax Report 29 Aug 2012 01:04

Always order certs from GRO

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

£9.25 from where ever you live

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Aug 2012 01:41

Penny

I also live overseas, and I would not order bmds from any other site other than GRO

1. The cost is £9.25, and that includes p&p

2. Most other sites charge more, some much more ............ I've seen some sites where they charge £20 or more.

You can also order with safety from the local Registry Office, IF they will still do it ............. many RO's are no longer providing certificates.

The cost from an RO is also £9.25 PLUS p&p.

Be aware though that the eventual cost of ordering a certificate from an RO from overseas could be as much as £15, for the following reasons .................................

a) You have to provide a stamped self-addressed envelope of a certain size. Overseas customers have to supply the self-addressed envelope, and then either add an extra £1 or supply International Money Coupons ..... unless you have access to the correct denominations of UK stamps. The size of envelope requested is not a size that is available here in Canada ................ and the last time I did this, I had to pay the equivalent of almost £1 for a suitable but larger size.

b) International Money Coupons have to be bought from a bank, so you have to add on an exchange rate AND the bank charge.

If you go the extra £1, it is £1 for each certificate you are ordering

I find GRO much easier ...................... and it is safe to use with a credit card.

sylvia

Penny

Penny Report 30 Aug 2012 10:46

thanks for your input everyone.

Gai

Gai Report 30 Aug 2012 11:28

Penny,

I also live overseas and I always use the GRO. I also keep a watch on the exchange rates and trying and buy when the rates are in my favour.

Also good to save a couple of dollars when ordering.

Gai

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Aug 2012 11:52

Many local RO's charge £9.50-10.00 +p+p - so the GRO is good value for money.

Their website is easy to use and you have your own account with a password for your access.

Easy Peasy.... :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Aug 2012 23:00

PP

it is that +p&p that is the killer from my point of view

we don't have the size of envelope they request over here ........ and I have before now had to go to several stationer-type stores to get a similar size.

and specialty sizes are expensive!

Then comes the stamps .............

we don't have access to English stamps here .......

they offered 2 options ...............

1) add an extra £1 to the cost of each certificate

OR

2) Buy International Monetary Coupons from a bank.

As I said earlier ............... the last time I ordered from an RO, I worked out that certificate actually cost me the equivalent of just over £15!

so I use GRO all the time now! :-D :-D :-D :-D

sylvia