Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Land purchased in 1920's. Help please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 29 Aug 2012 10:19

I have a couple of solicitors letters from the late 1920's regarding land purchased in the Whitstable Herne Bay area (7 freehold plots) which were up for sale. As far as family are aware they were never sold. The owner was at this time settled in Australia. How can I find out what happened to them. Have looked at Land Registry website but I think I need more info than I currently have for one of their searches. Is there anywhere online I can search myself?

Any other advice gratefully received. Many thanks

Marion

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Aug 2012 10:30

Maybe you could contact the land registry for advice? They have an online contact form:

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/contacts

Unless you know the exact location of these plots I am not sure what you will do. Do the solicitors still exist? Firms often last a long time, maybe they have archives?

Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2012 11:12

The Land Registry only records details of properties which have changed hands since its inception.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2012 11:21

Would Herne Bay Library be able to identify where the plots of land were/are?

Address:
124, High Street
Herne Bay
Kent
CT6 5JY

Tel: 08458 247200
Fax: 01227 741582
E-mail: [email protected]

Their site does say that they have a Local Studies Collection, which could mean they have maps of the period - the location of the plots could be compared to later maps.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Aug 2012 18:24

If the Solicitors no longer exist then there is a possibility that their records may have been deposited at the County Record Office.

Try a search in the A2A catalogue
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/

Good luck
Chris