Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just a question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 29 Aug 2012 13:58

Has the word "thankyou" dissapeared from the English language??

Robert

Robert Report 29 Aug 2012 14:25

As far as I know, it hasn't. I will always make a point of saying Thank you for any Help I receive Here

Jean

Jean Report 29 Aug 2012 15:29

Robert, trouble is they are not all as polite as you

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Aug 2012 15:35

I don't believe that "Thankyou" ever was a word in the English language.

The two words, "Thank" and "You" were however often used together to form the phrase, "Thank you", as an expression of gratitude.

That phrase does appear to have fallen from grace recently as it is certainly not used as frequently today as it has been in the past.

Another word, "Please", also appears to be suffering the same fate.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 29 Aug 2012 15:40

I always make a point of saying please and thank you and I remind my grandchildren when they sometimes forget to say them.

As a child I remember being told to 'mind my p's and q's' does anyone else remember this expression and did the q actually stand for a word.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Aug 2012 15:44

The phrase "Mind your p's and q's" was related to printing and typesetting in particular where the type is of course reversed so a reversed "q" looks like a normally orientated "p" and visa versa.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Aug 2012 15:51

The expression we heard in our childhood was a play on words.........

P's....being Please.... and Q's being the end of Thank you

No Jean, 'thank you' has not disappeared from the language.........it's just unfamiliar to a vast number of GR users, as, indeed, is the word 'please'

Many of them seem to think that posting stupid faces obviates the need for politeness

Robert

Robert Report 29 Aug 2012 16:18

Manners Cost Nothing but means a lot to many

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Aug 2012 16:28

Manors usually cost quite a lot of money whereas manners do not. ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Aug 2012 16:49

Come round my manor and you will find plenty of cheaper places sadly the manners of those who live there leave much to be desired.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 29 Aug 2012 17:28

Thank you Jonesey and Reggie for the explanation re 'p's and q's I didn't know where it came from

Kense

Kense Report 29 Aug 2012 19:21

There are other suggestions for the origin of the phrase, such as those given here:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/mind-your-ps-and-qs.html

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Aug 2012 20:46

Good Manners

Hearts, like doors will open with ease
To very, very little keys,
And don’t forget that two of these
Are ‘I thank you’ and ‘If you please’.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 29 Aug 2012 22:07

Still not around tonight. No please or thank you just 'any information on'.

Gee

Gee Report 30 Aug 2012 09:28

Speaking for myself although I suspect the majority of us do it. I don’t even think about saying thank you or please, it seems to be ‘innate’ although I’m sure it’s because my parents bred it into me

We say thank you to each other at all the time at home. After dinner in the evening my boys (including my husband) always sort the dishes/clear the kitchen and then come and give me a kiss and say thank you for dinner.

When my husband takes me for an evening out, I always give him a kiss when we get home and say thank you for a lovely evening

And you might love or loath this but we always say ‘have a good day’ when leaving the house and ask if they have had a good one when they get home later.

For Reggie
:-D ;-)

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 30 Aug 2012 09:38

Morning Gins. Morning all.

I've always said please and thank you to my kids. Whatever I ask them to do, they always get a please or thank you.

Lovely son who has autism has manners beyond many adults. Disability is no excuse for him or anyone else.

Gee

Gee Report 30 Aug 2012 09:42

Jill~~~~~

It's what seperates us from the other 'animals'

judy

judy Report 30 Aug 2012 18:27

I know I forget to say Thank You sometimes, . My granddaughter was signing please before she could talk. Her cousin (same age) goes to day care. They taught him and he taught his cousin. My granddaughter also signs" more". When she wants something, anything, she has to say, please, before she may have it. She is still having trouble pronouncng thank you, but she is trying. Judy