Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SP Centres in Edinburgh/Glasgow/Kilmarnock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 31 Aug 2012 00:56

Having travelled to Edinburgh on a few occasions, I have just discovered that there has always been a genealogy centre in Park Circus, Glasgow which offers the same digitized facilities as the GRO in Edinburgh
ie Access to all SP records
EDIT
Just discovered that this has moved to the MItchell Library
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/BirthDeathMarriage_Citizenship/GenealogyCentre/

A third, brand new center has also opened in Kilmarnock http://www.burnsmonumentcentre.co.uk/27/news/

I am the last to know this?

Anne

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 1 Sep 2012 15:49

I understand that the GROS (Now known as the National Records of Scotland ..NRS) hopes to open links to many other research centres, even possibly outside of Scotland but I don't know their schedule.

The NRS centre at Register house in Edinburgh offers a fully supported centre with over 100 desks for researchers. Their library of documents is impressive and I would recommend anyone to spend their first day just learning what is available (asking costs nothing).

15 pounds for a day of research 0900 - 1630. Try the Guildford Arms round the corner for an Old World pub lunch experience. Mmmmmmm. Family Research doesn't get better than this.

Denis

Denis Report 1 Sep 2012 16:33

Access to SP is available at almost all Registrars in Scotland, in fact there is also access to all the later records not available on SP but this is at an hourly rate which can work out quite expensive if you don't have a whole list of records to look up during your hour.