Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Programs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 6 Sep 2012 03:43

Can anyone recommend a good family tree program? I'm using Paf at the moment but would like to try something else..

Many thanks
Kazz

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Sep 2012 07:36

A lot depends on personal preference. I tried a few first but settled on Family Tree Maker (FTM) which I have used now for ten years

I will send you a link for a company that supplies most of the well known software and has detailed descriptions of each so you can decide which suits you best. I have used them on several occasions and always found them first class.

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 6 Sep 2012 07:47

Thank you :)

Roger

Roger Report 6 Sep 2012 11:23

Well I used PAF until I changed computers and then I thought just like you that I would like to try another one, in the end I got FTM12 after looking at all the others.

But I got it becuse it does what i wanted it to do and of course the price, I got it when one of the big stores had it on special offer and also you get 6 months Ancestry for free.

But one word of warning if you are like me don't have a crdit card this offer is not much use as you have to sign in with credit details, so in my opinion it is not free at all.

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 6 Sep 2012 12:04

Thanks Roger...I'll just keep looking...I've found a freebie called My Heritage that looks interesting..

Robert

Robert Report 6 Sep 2012 17:47

I couldnt recommend My Heritage to anyone. It it a browers HI-JACKER it will change home page to My Heritage home page. And it asumes that everyone comes from the USA.For Instants I had a lot of ancestors born in birmingham , and when i ask it to produce a map were everyone was born it put 90% of my ancestors in every country a part from the UK.I Hate any program that assumes things and changes things with out telling me first so i can stop it from doing it

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 6 Sep 2012 22:59

Hi Robert..
Thank you Robert..Fortunately I haven't installed it and having read your post I don't think I will.

Kazz